Remember the feeling of power
from participating in the
Denver Women’s Marches, March for Life (reproductive rights), March for Science, March for Education, March for Taxes, March for Our Lives (guns), March for Keeping Families Together?
DO IT ALL AGAIN…
POWER TO THE POLLS!!!
Renew you commitment to the fight against the administration’s agenda for the LONG HAUL!! Given republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches, resistance must be an on-going activity. We are entering one of the most critical years in our nation’s history – INSIST, RESIST, PERSIST…and remember: Preserve Yourself to Preserve The Country…this is a marathon, not a sprint. The election process in 2018 will determine the fate of our country for years to come. Participate where you can, encourage your family/friends/colleagues to participate AND ALWAYS VOTE!!
This site is provided as a tool for staying engaged related to resisting actions of the administration that do not support a progressive agenda for our nation. A calendar of local ACTIONS with a NATIONAL focus is shown below.
DON’T STOP RESISTING!!
SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT – 2018!!
- POWER TO THE POLLS – VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
- Stay informed about all the sleazy stuff that is going on while 45 is distracting us with his insanity.
- For something more upbeat: SMALL VICTORIES
WE ARE ~3 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER.
KNOW THE CANDIDATES.
SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES.
COMMIT TO VOTE.
THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
Mid-term Election Day 2018 is November 6. Block out time NOW to participate in late summer/early fall canvassing & registration and support Election Day get out the vote (GOTV) efforts.
WEEK of AUGUST 13
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #2: STATE SENATE DISTRICT 24
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👉 #FlipSD24 : Representative Faith Winter 👈
Thornton, Westminster – Faith Winter stepped to the podium at the statehouse #MeToo and never quit holding the powerful accountable. She’s running in senate district 24 to flip it. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
Thursday, August 16, 2018
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #3: TAKE MIKE COFFMAN’S SEAT
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👉 #WinTheSixth : Giving Mike Coffman the boot 👈
Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Centennial – Mike Coffman has been aptly described as “building great relationships with the groups he votes against.” He is a good politician in that way – branded as a moderate even though he votes 93% with the trump agenda. Here’s how to plug directly in to the work to oust him: CO Dems People to People campaign
Friday, August 17, 2018
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #4: CANVASS YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👟👟👟 Want to walk in your own neighborhood, on your own time? Julia Bristor can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing – walk lists, training, scripts, and flyers. Contact her at jmbp2p at gmail dot com.
Saturday, August 18, 2018
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #5: PHONEBANK
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
📞📞📞 The Colorado Democratic Party has regular weekly phonebanks from now until the elections at the Denver office at 789 Sherman St. from 5 – 7:30PM. Please email Meike Babel at email@example.com to RSVP. All phonebanks remain open from now until elections, so if you can’t help this week, we will need you whenever you are available. Please note you don’t need to come to Denver to phonebank. You can get a call list, scripts, and guidance for phone banking from the comfort of your own home. EVERY CALL YOU MAKE COUNTS!
Antarctica is pouring more than 200 billion tons of ice into the ocean annually, a rate that has tripled in the past decade and now raises sea levels a half millimeter every year. If the acceleration continues, some of scientists’ worst fears about rising oceans could be realized, leaving low-lying cities and communities with less time to prepare than they’d hoped. The result also reinforces that nations have a shorter window — perhaps no more than a decade — to cut greenhouse gas emissions if they hope to avert some of the worst consequences of climate change.
VOTE FOR CANDIDATES WHO ACKNOWLEDGE CLIMATE CHANGE AND HAVE PROMISED TO PASS LAWS TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!
WEEK of AUGUST 20
Monday, August 20, 2018 – An executive order & a House GOP ‘farm’ bill include at least a half dozen ways to make it harder for low-income families and individuals to get food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The Senate has a bipartisan bill that protects social services. These bills have to be reconciled before the end of September. This is a big deal. SNAP helped 41 million Americans in January 2018 and over 80% of benefits go to households with one or more children, a senior or a person with a disability. Call your MoCs. Let them know that you oppose the Republican SNAP proposals in the 2018 Farm Bill. Express your strong support for SNAP and your rejection of new work requirements which do nothing to make the program more efficient, but instead make it harder for people of lesser means to meet the most basic of human needs – food.
Tuesday, August 21, 2018 – Funding the campaigns that REALLY matter – here is an innovative idea: Round Up Your Spare Change to Make Real Change – sponsored by Flippable
Wednesday, August 22, 2018 – Volunteer with ACLU Voter – help mobilize voters in huge numbers by contacting millions of people by text messages and phone calls. Join one of the teams working hard to mobilize ACLU voters and take back our democracy by visiting our People Power site. Calling and texting is easy, effective and even fun. The ACLU has the very best calling and texting tools and resources to support you every step of the way. Your help is crucial in making this happen. Join a special calling or texting team and leave your mark on this election.
Thursday, August 23, 2018 – Join with national groups that do voter mobilization in your community. The organizations below can help you find local affiliates. Give them your time and/or money:
- Indivisible – They have expanded beyond support for contacting legislators to helping local affiliates get involved in elections. Indivisible played a role in helping turn the tide in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama.
- Swing Left – Their app and web site will identify the congressional district nearest to you that is held by a vulnerable Republican.
- Flippable – Their app and web site gives Swing Left type info for state legislatures
- Vote Riders – helps folks get to the polls on Election Day
- Let America Vote – fights voter suppression efforts in states
- NAACP Civic Engagement Initiative – identifies and supports community organizations working to register voters and get out the vote in African American communities.
- VotoLatino and UnidosUS – Voto Latino is focused on engaging young Latino voters and NCLR targets the broader Latino community’s engagement with elections
Friday, August 24, 2018 – Stop prison corporations. Demand that the CEOs of Wells Fargo and JPMorgan Chase stop financing CoreCivic and GEO Group, two of the largest for-profit prison corporations.
The stories we’re hearing both out of detention centers and from the families who have been reunited under traumatizing circumstances are nothing short of gut-wrenching. We must do everything in our power to stop this abuse. While we’re still pressuring our lawmakers and demanding change from the administration, we must also stop this abuse where it’s happening: in these for-profit prisons.
Saturday, August 25, 2018 – If you have any questions about the who has the interest of ALL American citizens, check the platforms below:
Positions from the Democratic Party’s 2016 platform:
- “Americans should be able to access public coverage through a public option, and those over 55 should be able to opt in to Medicare”;
- “Ensure those at the top contribute to our country’s future by establishing a multimillionaire surtax to ensure millionaires and billionaires pay their fair share”;
- “Every woman should have access to quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion”;
- “Slash carbon pollution and protect clean air at home, lead the fight against climate change around the world”;
- “Expand and strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws concerning firearms”;
- “We will seek to safeguard vulnerable minorities, including LGBT people and people with disabilities.”
Positions from the Republican Party’s 2016 platform:
- “Wherever tax rates penalize thrift or discourage investment, they must be lowered. Wherever current provisions of the code are disincentives for economic growth, they must be changed”;
- “We envision a worldwide multilateral agreement among nations committed to the principles of open markets”;
- “We … support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide … fundamental social questions”;
- “Lawful gun ownership enables Americans to exercise their God-given right of self-defense for the safety of their homes, their loved ones, and their communities. … We oppose ill-conceived laws that would restrict magazine capacity or ban the sale of the most popular and common modern rifle”;
- “We support the development of all forms of energy that are marketable in a free economy without subsidies, including coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear power, and hydropower”;
- “To preserve Medicare and Medicaid, the financing of these important programs must be brought under control before they consume most of the federal budget, including national defense”;
- “Our highest priority … must be to secure our borders and all ports of entry and to enforce our immigration laws”;
- “[The Affordable Care Act] must be removed and replaced with an approach based on genuine competition, patient choice, excellent care, wellness, and timely access to treatment.”
Sunday, August 26, 2018 – PLAN AHEAD and create time to support candidates in swing states – go to your 2018 calendar, find a week in September or October that you can spend canvassing in a swing district. Make your plans. Make a difference!
WEEK of AUGUST 27
Monday, August 27, 2018 – DACA has gotten completely lost in all the INSANITY of the last few months. Don’t forget about this amazing group of immigrants who deserve a chance at citizenship!!
Support them through a contribution to United We Dream Action. However, if you want to make a tax deductible contribution click here to donate to our sister organization The United We Dream Network, a 501(c)(3) organization.
Tuesday, August 28 – Check out the Environmental Voter Project (EVP)
The Environmental Voter Project aims to significantly increase voter demand for progressive environmental policy by identifying inactive environmentalists and then turning them into consistent activists and voters.
Join Indivisible Boulder & Environmental Voter Project for their Monthly Text Banking from 6 – 8:30pm. Indivisible and EVP plan to partner each month for these text banking events. It is VERY easy to do, and once you get the training, you can do it from the comfort of your home moving forward!
Wednesday, August 29 – Download the Stance app – Calling congress is the most effective way to make your voice heard. Congressional phone lines are often busy. Voicemail is often full. You might spend ages on hold, or keep calling back until overwhelmed congressional staffers clear clogged inboxes. A new app called Stance helps overcome these democracy-hindering headaches. It lets you record messages for your elected representatives, then delivers them at night when phone lines aren’t so busy. Stance sends your message directly to your representative’s phone and twitter handle, and also posts them ontakeastance.usfor others to be inspired. You can record your message anytime, anywhere.
Thursday, August 30, 2018 – Getting out the VOTE is the ONLY thing that matters!! Do what you can. Here is one idea!! Studies shows that the most effective way to get people to vote is by having conversations with them in the four days before Election Day (Saturday, November 3rd–Tuesday, November 6th). Each of us has the power to make a big difference in a key race by talking to voters. Don’t just vote this year—volunteer! Be there when it matters!
Friday, August 31, 2018 – Good thoughts to end the month:
“That’s how we’re going to win. Not fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.” Rose Rico (“The Last Jedi”)
WE ARE 2 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE.
VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
BLUE WAVE 2018 BEGINS!!
DO IT – VOTE!!
Ballotpedia is covering four hundred and seventy seats in the U.S. Congress (35 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) up for election this November, we’ve designated a selection of these races as our 2018 battlegrounds.
Battlegrounds are races that we expect to be particularly competitive, interesting, or meaningful to the future balance of power in Congress.
September 1, 2018 – Participate with your local Indivisible group – Indivisible is a progressive movement in United States politics. They have created the Indivisible Guide, a step-by-step guide for individuals, groups, and organizations looking to get Congress to listen to a small, vocal, dedicated group of constituents.
Indivisible Colorado State Legislature
Groups in Boulder County:
Indivisible Front Range (IFRR)
Boulder CAN (Colorado Action Network)!
Indivisible North Boulder – Indivisiblenorthboulder at gmail dot com
Indivisible East Boulder
Indivisible Frasier Elders indivisiblefrasierelders at gmail dot com
Indivisible Northern Colorado
September 2, 2018 – Make an Official Comment About the Endangered Species Act and your reasons why you are against Executive Order 13777. Comments supporting the Endangered Species Act must be received by September 24, 2018. To comment on any of these rules, click on the links below. Then click the Comment Now button:
- Revision of the Regulations for Listing Species and Designating Critical Habitat – Docket Number: FWS-HQ-ES-2018-0006
- Revision of the Regulations for Prohibitions to Threatened Wildlife and Plants – Docket Number: FWS-HQ-ES-2018-0007
- Revision of Regulations for Interagency Cooperation – Docket Number: FWS-HQ-ES-2018-0009
Call your Senators and or Representatives: Tell them – especially the Republicans – that you treasure the Endangered Species Act and any amendments and legislation that weaken it will cost them your support in upcoming elections.
September 3, 2018 – The priority of 2018 is for our nation to rise up and say: Enough. MoCs have abdicated their roles as true proxies of the people’s will. They were elected & we can’t control their votes. We can only control OUR votes. In November 2018, the congressional GOP faces the most anticipated political reckoning of our times. Non-trumpian America HAS the numbers, the resistance just needs to mobilize it. We can’t mobilize without you. When we show up, we win, and you simply MUST be involved.
Take a look at the ActLocal Voting Resources Guide to get an idea of what you can be doing today, tomorrow, and all of 2018 to elect progressives. Print out a copy and keep it handy, and tweet/share it. Check out the ActLocal resources page, which addresses topics ranging from how to put on a phonebank to what happened in 2016 to help you get educated and ready to support candidates.
September 4, 2018 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018 – Enjoy a break in the insanity and read the SMALL VICTORIES blog. It’s upbeat & refreshing!!
September 5, 2018 – ELECT WOMEN – Support the Women’s Senate Network!! Eleven Democratic Senate women are facing re-election this year — that’s HALF the women in the Senate. There is virtually ZERO chance of taking back the Senate if any of these Democratic senators lose. Democratic Senate women are fearless fighters for working families and voices against the administration’s destructive agenda. Republican mega-donors like the Koch Brothers have pledged to spend roughly $400 million in 2018 to attack these Senator. Women like Heidi Heitkamp, Tammy Baldwin and Claire McCaskill are already facing an onslaught of GOP super PAC spending. Support them in any way you can!!
September 6, 2018 – If you want to know the details about elected officials accused/convicted of behavior unbecoming of an MoC, check out the Congressional Misconduct Database!!
September 7, 2018 – NEVER AGAIN has happened again – CONGRESS STILL HASN’T ACTED ON GUN CONTROL, TAKE ACTION!! CALL YOUR MoCs!!
If you can: Donate to Defeat House Republicans Who Take NRA Money Keep supporting companies that are taking a stand!! Don’t patronize companies that do NOTHING!! BOYCOTT companies affiliated with the NRA!! Call them, write them, tweet at them – STOP THEM!! #BoycottNRA Also: 90 Various local businesses in Colorado are NRA affiliates! Click HERE to search the list.
September 8, 2018 – SUPPORT COLORADO TEACHERS!! Help Raise Funds for Colorado’s Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November.
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise $1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS. 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If you are willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, follow this link and someone will contact you-http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
September 10, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Sept 10 – Sept 11 and Sept 19
September 11, 2018 – MORE on the importance of state races – Getting involved in state legislative races is the most valuable action we can take this year and in 2018. Here’s why:
- Redistricting. State legislatures often control redistricting. The Republicans have badly gerrymandered the states they control, keeping themselves in power and preventing proportional representation. The only way to reverse this is to win back state legislatures. (See an excellent article HERE).
- One Thousand Seats Lost. Over the past decade, the GOP has invested heavily in state legislative seats, and unfortunately, it has paid off. Republicans now control both chambers in 33 states, and Democrats hold 1,000 fewer state legislative seats than they did in 2008.
- Trifectas. There are 25 Republican trifecta states, where Republicans control both chambers of state government and the governorship. Democrats have only 6 trifecta states. This is why we have been seeing so much awful legislation becoming law on issues of reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, gun control, immigration, and more.
- States are Policy Laboratories. State level policies often serve as templates for national policy, and also for other states to adopt. We need strong Democratic state legislatures to set progressive policies that can be adopted elsewhere.
- Constitutional Convention. If Republicans gain control of one more state legislature, they would be able to call for a Constitutional Convention to amend our federal Constitution.
September 12, 2018 – Colorado has a good chance to flip the statehouse. Volunteer to work in your district or offer to help in a flip district. Colorado Resistance has an excellent reference list and action plan to address these high probability keep or flip state positions:
- Attorney General
- Secretary of State
- State Treasurer
- Senate Districts – 3, 5, 11, 16, 20, 22, 24
- House Districts – 3, 17, 23 & 25
September 13, 2018 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018 – Get ready for CRITICAL 2018 elections!! Check out https://www.ballotready.org/. They provide non-partisan information on people running for election.
September 14, 2018 – Learn about the power held in a small number of prosecutors – WATCH the film “Power of Prosecutors” to support the end of mass incarceration. Learn how to demand accountability. Vote!
September 15, 2018 – Protect the 2018 elections from “Dark Money”! Wealthy individuals and corporations continue to sway elections away from allowing voters to choose on merit and toward corporate influence on policy! You can find out who’s contributing money to candidates, even when they try to hide it. The Center for Responsive Politics, at its website “Open Secrets,” is shining a light on where the money comes from. See “Who are the top Dark Money Donors?” HERE.
Check out: http://endcitizensunited.org – End Citizens United is a Political Action Committee funded by grassroots donors. We are dedicated to countering the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system.
Also, MOVETOAMEND.ORG – focused on helping end Citizens United. We’d like to point out that the Citizens United decision is not the cause, it is a symptom of the systemic problem of the Courts extending constitutional rights under the 1st, 4th, 5th, 14th Amendments to corporations. That is why, Move To Amend, is trying to revert the many other Supreme Court rulings that precede it with House Joint Resolution 48. F
- Find a list of cosponsors of House Joint Resolution 48, along with a description of the bill, HERE.
- Join the national coalition by initiating or joining an affiliate group in your area.
- Learn how to get started by reading our take action toolkit HERE…and read our affiliate process HERE.
- For more information on affiliate groups: https://movetoamend.org/map/groups
September 16, 2018 – Indivisible Boulder meeting – details to come…
September 17, 2018 – By 2050 there will be more plastics than fish in the ocean – UNLESS WE CHANGE THE COURSE WE’RE ON. People are rallying around the world in protest of plastic waste that ends up as pollution in rivers, oceans, and soil. The negative impacts of this waste on marine life are well-documented, and human health is likely at risk as well. How can you help protect people, animals, and the planet from the scourge of plastic waste? There’s no one simple answer, but Eco-Cycle will be bringing a slew of solutions your way during our Reduce Your Plastic Use Challenge! Eco-Cycle will help you reduce or eliminate common plastic items from your life and stay motivated with simple tips and hacks to help you break free from plastic!
Take the challenge and learn:
- What happens to plastic after it is used
- The most sustainable alternatives to plastic
- Where and how to shop plastic-free
- Alternatives to products that seem to be only sold in plastic packaging
- How to take your commitment to a low-plastic lifestyle further
- Bold moves communities around the world are taking
- …and more!
September 18, 2018 – MANY groups working to elect state candidates in flippable districts – Check this one out!!
Sister District Project
September 19, 2018 – And for those of us well beyond being a Millennial…AARP has launched “Be the Difference. Vote,” a multifaceted campaign designed to maximize the influence of America’s 50-plus voters in this year’s midterm elections. The campaign seeks to get the largest possible turnout of voters age 50-plus to the polls during the ongoing primaries and in the November general election. It will also put front and center issues like Medicare, Social Security, financial security and caregiving—topics of particular interest to older voters. Check out aarp.org/vote to see how you can get involved and stay informed.
September 20, 2018 – BLUE WAVE 2018 (and 2020) – “If we want to retake the House, the Senate and the Presidency by 2020, we need to take back our states.”
Find out how to fight back to gain control of our state legislature. Colorado is a target flip state for 2018!! State legislators, in conjunction with governors, have awesome power to shape the norms of our democracy. We need to put this power in the hands of trusted progressive leaders. Republican governors and Republican state legislatures use the following tools to influence the outcomes of elections:
- Redistricting – the practice of redrawing the lines of electoral districts, which takes place every 10 years. When district lines are redrawn in ways intended to benefit one political party, we call it gerrymandering (see an excellent article HERE). . Gerrymandering is a corrupt practice that skews election results and removes agency from the voters.
- Voter ID laws – laws that require voters to show photo identification before voting. These laws disproportionately affect minorities and lower-income voters—groups that have historically supported the Democratic party.
- Voter registration laws – discriminatory laws that create obstacles to registration (e.g. requiring voters to provide proof of citizenship). As Republican power at the state level increases, it becomes easier for Republican lawmakers to pass ever stricter voter ID and registration laws, which in turn makes it easier for Republicans to win elections.
September 21, 2018 – I’ve mentioned it many times, but the app STANCE is a great tool. It allows you to call and leave a message for your MOCs 24/7. Find out more general info HERE along with how to download the app to your phone.
September 22, 2018 – Flip the US Congress!! – Stay Up-to-Date at Swing Left – At the federal level, there are 70 Swing Districts. These are places where the last election was won by 15% of the vote or less, where Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump, where a high concentration of Swing Left volunteers make certain districts very winnable, or where other, specific circumstances make it a competitive district. We need to flip at least 24 seats to take back the House in 2018. Let’s get to work: In Colorado, Mike Coffman (R-CO06) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; so with some effort, he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
Flip States BLUE!! – Info on Flippable seats at the state level HERE! Over the last 10 years, Democrats have lost majorities (over 1400 seats) in state houses, governorships and other elected position across the country. The results have been the horrific state laws that restrict a woman’s right to chose, deny LGBTQ people’s rights, limit funding for important social programs, specify gerrymandered election districts, etc. Out of 6,000+ state races this year, Flippable has picked the ones that will flip the most important chambers. Then they get money as efficiently and as early as possible to state candidates, allowing them to invest in great teams who can power them to victory.
September 23, 2018 – Don’t forget about the need for SANE GUN LAWS! The ONLY WAY to fix this is to VOTE!!! Work to vote NRA supported candidates out of EVERY office they hold! Visit these sites listed below for more information.
- Americans for Responsible Solutions Gabrielle Gifford’s organization the addresses urban gun violence
- Every town for Gun safety You can find out about the strength of your state’s gun lows and identity gaps
- Mom’s demand action for gun sense in America Demand action for State and Federal legislators, companies and education institutions to establish common sense gun reforms
- Violence Policy Center Research, Investigation, Analysis and Advocacy for a Safer America
- Center for American Progress for ERPO Colorado tried to pass a Red Flag Law to allow family, friends, colleagues, etc. to contact law enforcement for confiscation of weapons if the person is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. Republicans voted the law down.
September 24, 2018 – MAKE SURE the races for state legislature and governorships are a TOP PRIORITY!! They are every bit as important as those for the higher profile federal offices. The upcoming slate of governors races combines an unusually favorable map for Democrats with a strong chance to influence the once-in-a-decade congressional redistricting process. That process helps determine how many seats each party holds in the House, and Republican success at controlling the process has helped the party achieve dominance in Congress. Washington politicos and grassroots activists alike often overlook governors races, and that’s especially true in the Democratic Party, which is years behind the GOP when it comes to investing in state races. The party is down to just 16 out of 50 governors, the fewest in recent decades. It lost nearly 1,000 state legislative seats during President Barack Obama’s eight years in the White House.
Flippable has a website that highlights the state level fights that are so important. Check it out. In Colorado and other states with high probability Democratic wins, groups are working on state & national candidates – Check them out!!
September 25, 2018 – Check out the Environmental Voter Project The Environmental Voter Project aims to significantly increase voter demand for progressive environmental policy by identifying inactive environmentalists and then turning them into consistent activists and voters.
September 26, 2018 – In 2020, Millennials will be a larger voting block than Baby Boomers!! They are already making their voices heard for the 2018 elections. Make sure that any young people you know understand how important it is for them to make their voices heard by VOTING!! Support them – we need them to speak out about their future (and ours)!!
In Colorado: www.neweracolorado.org – New Era Colorado is an innovative organization focused on hands-on democracy that engages, educates and trains a new generation of active citizens and young leaders in Colorado.
Nationally: https://nextgenamerica.org/ – Since 2013, working to prevent damage to our climate by transitioning to a clean energy economy based on equality, inclusion, and a shared and sustainable prosperity. Now, the values that drive our work on climate are under increased and unprecedented attack. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, and core American values — as NextGen America.
Nationally: www.Votergy.org – a non-profit focused on strengthening American democracy by getting young voters of all backgrounds to the polls.
September 27, 2018 – MANY Colorado groups are working to elect state candidates in flippable districts – Check these out!!
Colorado Resistance # Check out the Colorado Resistance Manual HERE. An Indivisible Guide for Colorado, by Coloradans – How to win state and local elections & resist Republican gerrymandering in Colorado
September 28, 2018 – The passage of the TAX BILL is a clear lesson in the limits of trying to persuade Republicans to vote humanely on major issues. But the elections in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama are an even clearer lesson that we can organize to win back electoral power even in places that were unthinkable. The most important lesson of 2017 is that when we are organized we win elections. We all need to be making plans for doing our part to Take Back Congress. These recent elections prove that there is energy and hope at the state and local levels. Here’s what we need to do:
- Support passionate, sane candidates at every level of government. Our top priority is to win back Congress but we also need to win back state legislatures and governorships in order to control the Congressional redistricting that will follow the 2020 Census. It is important to contest every elected office, and not just in swing districts. We are working for the long run – towards a nationwide political realignment.
- Encourage others – talented friends, colleagues, neighbors, relatives, yourself? . – to become involved in local politics: to serve on local advisory boards; volunteer to help local campaigns; or run for school board, city councils, special districts etc. Local government is powerful and it is the farm team for national politics.
- Support non-traditional candidates – people of color, naturalized citizens, women, LGBTQ folks, young adults and those with disabilities. We need our candidates to reflect everyone in our communities.
- Work in multi-racial, multi-ethnic coalitions to register all eligible voters, fight voter suppression & get out the vote on Election Day. The field work in Alabama showed us what can happen when this kind of “boots on the ground” work is done by groups that reflect the demographics of marginalized populations.
- Register voters, fight Republican voter suppression & Get Out the Vote. This is the nitty gritty work & it requires setting aside time to volunteer, campaign & win.
September 29, 2018 – NOTHING is more critical than getting out the vote in November!! Get online certified to register voters – IT’S IMPORTANT!!! The GOP is pushing Voter Suppression disguised as election fraud protection!! To be very clear: Voter ID laws target students, the elderly and minorities – traditionally Democratic and Independent strong-holds. In keeping with most studies of voter fraud — which find little to no evidence of its existence — Kansas studies have found just nine cases of alleged fraud out of 1.8 million registered voters.”
September 30, 2018 – Call your MoCs on prison reform!!
Prisoners older than 55 serving time make up the fastest-growing age group behind bars, increasing more than 500% since the 1990s. 1400 women give birth behind bars shackled to their beds. (Yes, we actually do that.) And people don’t go to prison, families do. For the hundreds of thousands of Americans that are locked up in cages in US federal prison reform is not a bipartisan issue. Join Wall of Us, Van Jones’ #Cut50, Keith Ellison, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, and many others to support the FIRST STEP Act which passed out of the House Judiciary Committee on a 25-5 vote a few weeks ago. It would do a LOT of good for a LOT of people sitting in federal prison right now, making it easier for them to stay in touch with their families, trim the sentences of the elderly and thousands with good time credit, ban shackling of pregnant women and strengthen evidence-based recidivism reduction programs.
It’s not all that is needed to fix our broken criminal justice system – it’s not even close – but, we need to find the common ground, get this done, and continue to fight like hell for more.
WE ARE 1 MONTH OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE. THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
ALSO – Towards Right Relationship with Native Peoples Right Relationship Boulder is a group of Native and non-Native residents who are lifting up the history and presence of Native people in the Boulder Valley and working toward a goal of right relationship. Our first effort is to establish ties with the Southern and Northern Arapaho tribes, whose ancestors lived in the Boulder Valley and were essentially banished from Colorado after the Sand Creek Massacre. They now live in Oklahoma and Wyoming. Our 2018 project is “Welcoming the Arapaho People Home.” We have invited delegations from both tribes to come to Boulder. In October, Arapaho dancers, artisans, story-tellers, youth and governance leaders will give public presentations and performances for Indigenous Peoples Day.
Thanks very much for considering joining us in welcoming the Arapaho people home.
If you would like to support this work with Native tribes, donations can be made to Right Relationship Boulder’s fiscal sponsor, Philanthropiece Foundation, 6105 Monarch Road, Longmont CO 80503.
October 1, 2018 – Learn why state legislatures are so important! State legislatures are crucial to the outcome of national elections. The Republican party currently controls 30 of the nation’s 50 state legislatures. In 23 of these states with Republican legislatures (state house & senate), the governor is Republican, too – a trifecta.
Trifectas give political parties nearly unchecked power at the state level. Republican-engineered gerrymandering and voter suppression are widespread across the country, in large part because of Republican trifectas. Source: Ballotpedia
See an excellent article HERE.
October 2, 2018 – Support the Dignity for Incarcerated Women Act The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population but 30% of the world’s incarcerated women. The Dignity Act was introduced on July 11th by Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Kamala Harris (D-CA), and Richard Durbin (D-IL). The goal of the act is “to improve the treatment of Federal prisoners who are primary caretaker parents.” The Dignity Act includes provisions such as more visitation rights for incarcerated mothers and preventing shackling pregnant women (which we do, even during birth). Prisons will also be required to provide women with feminine products and basic gynecological care (which we don’t currently provide).
The Dignity Act is effectively being ignored, with no hearings or votes scheduled. Alicia Keys is attempting to change that through the We Are Here Movement. All-of-us must raise our voices in support of incarcerated women too. Here’s how:
- Watch this video and join the We Are Here Movement.
- Share the video on Facebook and Twitter.
- Sign this petition calling on Senator Grassley to hold a hearing on the issue of incarcerated women!
October 3, 2018 – Don’t get angry and upset at all the insanity coming down from the top & the GOP – support candidates to replace this toxic administration and VOTE!! If YOU or ANYONE you know is not registered to vote, Colorado allows online registration! Click HERE!
October 4, 2018 – IF YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT ALEC (the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council), GET INFORMED. Through ALEC, Global Corporations Are Scheming to Rewrite YOUR Rights and Boost THEIR Revenue…Global corporations and state politicians vote behind closed doors to try to rewrite state laws that govern your rights. These so-called “model bills” reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.
ALEC’s Corporate Sponsors Top Nation’s Lawbreaker List!! In ALEC’s own words, corporations have “a VOICE and a VOTE” on specific changes to the law that are then proposed in your state. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VOICE IS HEARD OVER THESE GREEDY ORGANIZATIONS!!
October 5, 2018 – Colorado allows online VOTER REGISTRATION!! If you or anyone you know needs to register, go to www.registerincolorado.org.
October 6, 2018 – Check out this resource for contacting and getting data on your congressional representatives: https://www.contactingcongress.org/
October 7, 2018 – SUPPORT TAMMY STORY. Democrat Tammy Story is trying to unseat ultra-right wing Senator Tim Neville in State Senate District 16 (Golden, Eldorado Springs, Superior & Elsewhere). This is one of the most important races in the state because of its statewide strategic nature. And if you want to join the fight, email Patricia dot Eggleston at gmail dot com. It is not an overstatement to say we are fighting now for the survival of our Democracy and the freedoms we hold dear. Elections are the only way forward. Please get involved, and recruit others to help. You are needed. For real.
October 8, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Oct 8, Columbus Day and Oct 29
October 9, 2018 – 22.1% of 2018 congressional candidates are female…support them!! Gender has been a prevailing theme of national and local media coverage in this year’s elections. Ballotpedia has tracked 2,945 candidates who are seeking or sought election to Congress in 2018. A total of 651 (22.1%) of these candidates are female and 2,294 (77.9%) are male. More facts about congressional gender data (not great numbers, but improving!):
- Approximately 30.5% of Democratic congressional candidates are female
- Only 14.1% of Republican congressional candidates are female.
October 10, 2018 – In Colorado’s District 6, Mike Coffman (R) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
October 11, 2018 – THE BLUE WAVE IS COMING!! HERE ARE GREAT IDEAS ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- A great resource for learning about these districts and potential candidates in those districts is the Colorado Resistance Guide.
- BoulderCAN is helping to educate individuals in how to throw a successful house party, as well as some of their members independently hosting parties for individual candidates.
- Hey Boulder! is doing an excellent job getting folks to send postcards.
- The national Women’s March and national YWCA announced yesterday of their partnership. Boulder’s YWCA is working on efforts to eliminate racism locally.
- BoCo Dems and MoveOn Front Range – check here for positions on their Volunteer page.
- Senator Fenberg’s newsletter keep current on areas needing our attention in 2018. From CO state bills coming to the floor and going into committee, to bills Senator Neville has introduced (SD 16’s current senator who is dangerous with his bills), Senator Fenberg’s message is clear…Be engaged and help get people registered to vote.
- Colorado Votes is doing just that. They are hands down showing folks how to get others registered better than anyone else. Reach out to them if you are passionate about getting everyone who is eligible to vote, registered.
NOW IS THE TIME – MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD & VOTE!!
October 12, 2018 – DON’T FORGET ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL!! CALL YOUR MOCs (use the Stance app to call 24/7)!! There has been no movement – even with the continuing killing!!! NO ASSAULT WEAPONS, NO BUMP STOCKS, NO HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE, THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS – that is a MINIMUM!!
October 13, 2018 – MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN COLORADO!!
October 14, 2018 –
October 31, 2018 – I’ve published this before, but it is SO IMPORTANT as we approach the election and a turning point for the country!!
Do Not Lose Heart, We Were Made for These Times, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
“It is hard to say which one of the current egregious matters has rocked people’s worlds and beliefs more. Ours is a time of almost daily jaw-dropping astonishment and often righteous rage over the latest degradations of what matters most to civilized, visionary people…
…You are right in your assessments. The lustre and hubris some have aspired to while endorsing acts so heinous against children, elders, everyday people, the poor, the unguarded, the helpless, is breathtaking. Yet … I urge you, ask you, gentle you, to please not spend your spirit dry by bewailing these difficult times. Especially do not lose hope. Most particularly because, the fact is – we were made for these times.
Yes. For years, we have been learning, practicing, been in training for and just waiting to meet on this exact plain of engagement. I cannot tell you often enough that we are definitely the leaders we have been waiting for, and that we have been raised, since childhood, for this time precisely.
…In any dark time, there is a tendency to veer toward fainting over how much is wrong or unmended in the world. Do not focus on that. Do not make yourself ill with overwhelm. There is a tendency too to fall into being weakened by perseverating on what is outside your reach, by what cannot yet be. Do not focus there. That is spending the wind without raising the sails.
We are needed, that is all we can know.”
THIS IS IT!!!
Election Day 2018 is
November 6 – VOTE!!
- First thing – make sure your voter registration is up to date and that you have the correct type of identification. Most communities will let you check your registration online. If you move this year, make sure you update your information – Republican voter suppression efforts are focused on the details of registration and voter ID. Take a screen shot of your online registration. Phone2Action is a new app which makes it easy to do this from your mobile.
- Do your research now on which seats for which offices are open in your community and your state. Decide where you want to spend your time and energy and keep up with who is running for those seats.
November 1, 2018 – SUPPORT WOMEN RUNNING FOR OFFICE!! Here are the dets:
- Emerge America has reported an 87% increase in interest from women candidates.
- Emily’s List reported in April that 16,000 women have expressed interest in running for office, compared to 920 during the entire 2016 election cycle.
- She Should Run reported that 15,000 women are running for office in 2018, a massive increase since 2016
- Run for Something recruits and supports talented, passionate young people who will advocate for progressive values now and for the next 30 years, with the ultimate goal of building a progressive bench.
- Mina’s List seeks to realize women’s equal and substantive representation in national governments around the world. Research shows that more women in government leads to increased protection of women’s rights and higher standards of living for all people. Mina’s List provides educational tools and resources.
You can count on the number of women candidates running for office at the local, state, and federal level to rise. Want to get fired up about the women power that has been generated? Here’s how: Watch the first episode of She’s the Ticket. (9 minutes, 5 inspiring women).
November 2, 2018 – Support Colorado women running for U.S. Congress and Statewide Elected Executive positions:
Lt. Governor, Dianne Primavera (D)
Secretary of State, Jena Griswold (D)
U.S. Representative, District 01, Diana L. DeGette (D)
U.S. Representative, District 03, Diane E. Mitsch Bush (D)
U.S. Representative, District 04, Karen A. McCormick (D)
U.S. Representative, District 01, Stephany Rose Spaulding (D)
November 3, 2018 – Help Elect Women to the Colorado Senate
- Debra Gustafson, District 01
- Beth Harz, District 02
- Rebecca Cranston, District 15
- Tammy Story, District 16
- Includes south Boulder County & east to Superior
- Will unseat Tim Neville – a FAR RIGHT anti-woman, gun loving bigot
- Jessie Danielson, District 20
- Brittany Pettersen, District 22
- Faith Winter, District 24
- Julia Varnell-Sarjeant, District 30
- Julie Gonzales, District 34
November 4, 2018 – Support the Colorado House Majority Project – Give Colorado a BLUE trifecta!
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 –
ELECTION DAY!! VOTE!!
November 19, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Nov 19 – Nov 23 State Work Period Thanksgiving – Nov 22
JUST IN CASE: There are active discussions at the White House about firing Mueller and/or Rosenstein. If this happens, hundreds of thousands of people will instantly rally at hundreds of Rapid Response actions organized by Nobody is Above the Law, a coalition of many groups, spearheaded by MoveOn. See below to sign up for one of these events (they are occurring in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, and other CO locations). If you choose to attend an event, you agree to engage in nonviolent, peaceful action, to act lawfully, and to strive to de-escalate any potential confrontations with those who may disagree with these values.
Hosted by Kenneth N. Geof C. Lani C. william C. Ira L. Bruce N. Wendy R. Katherine F. Pearl Street Mall, old Boulder County Courthouse, Boulder, CO 80302
Trump is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. But nobody is above the law. If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. Sign up and be ready to assemble on short notice.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Kathy P. Jaymi D. Michael B. Ira C. Nancy M.
6th and Main, Longmont, CO 80501
Rapid Response! to protest Trump’s firing of special counsel.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Jessica Z. Katherine F.
Colorado State Capitol, Denver, CO 80203
If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. The following are the red lines, which if crossed, could trigger the call for national actions, communicated by national partners to hosts: 1.) Firing Mueller 2.) Pardons of key witnesses 3.) Actions that would prevent the investigation from being conducted freely, such as replacing Mueller’s current supervisor, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, or repealing the regulations establishing the office. In the case of a Mueller firing, please assume the plan has been engaged and events will be triggered nationally. In the event of key pardons, a change in Rosenstein’s relationship to the investigation, or other scenarios, a national coalition will decide as rapidly as possible whether it believes the red line has been crossed sufficient to communicate a national call to action. In such cases, local hosts are encouraged to look for notice of national decisions from MoveOn in SMS and email, but to feel empowered to proceed locally as they see fit.