POWER TO THE POLLS 2020!!!
We are entering one of the most critical times in our nation’s history – INSIST, RESIST, PERSIST.
SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!
Here are some way to make sure 2020 is a HAPPY year!!
- Denver’s Fourth Annual Womxn’s March and Community Exhibition is Saturday, January 18th 2020, 10 AM, starting at near the corner of 14th Avenue and Bannock Streets.
To better ignite action and create lasting impact, we will forgo a rally; instead, after you march, make your way to the McNichols Building (McNichols Civic Center Building at 144 W. Colfax Ave. – attached to Civic Center Park) for the Impact EXPO to connect with almost 60 local non-profits and grassroots organizations that are serving the community. Visit Womxn’s March Denver for more details!
VARIOUS VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS ARE AVAILABLE
Email Suzie@womxnsmarchdenver.org for more info!
- IN COLORADO: 2020 voter registration… needs your help for the most important election of our lifetime.
We need to mobilize 100’s of volunteers to be sure every progressive is registered to vote so we retire the president, a certain US Senator, maintain control of the CO legislature & win all other elections.
Will you please join us in registering voters?
First Event: Womxn’s March on Saturday, January 18th at Civic Center Park. We need several hundred volunteers…and you need to be trained to register voters!!
Pre-Womxn’s March Training Sessions – 2019 trainees only need a quick update:
Webinars, 6-7 pm:
Monday 1-6-2020, Tuesday 1-7-2020, Thursday 1-9-2020, Friday 1-10-2020
Monday 1-13-2020, Tuesday 1-14-2020, Thursday 1-16-2020, Friday 1-17-2020
Sign up for any date here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/1917936809926228493
In-person training @ CDP, 789 Sherman St:
- Wednesday, January 8th, 11-1 pm
- Saturday, January 11th, 12-1:30 pm
- Wednesday, January 15th, 11-1 pm
Email email@example.com to sign up
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 212-662-0672.
We’re excited about working with you in 2020 and look forward to hearing from you….and THANKS!!
- IN THE NATION: There are a few states that will make a BIG difference in the November 2020 election. Join us in Boulder on Thursday, January 16th to hear from people working with local state organizers to GOTV (get out the vote!!).
If you can’t attend, consider supporting the Movement Voter Project HERE.
I truly wish you a happy, healthy and activist 2020, BUT…
if you need a break from all the anxiety producing news for a while, try these…
- SNL cold open https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/12/15/snl-explains-magic-electoral-college-wacky-wonderful-cold-open/
- Small Victories
- Women in the World
- Good Black News
- What Went Right
NOVEMBER / DECEMBER 2019
I didn’t write last month because the impeachment hearings were just firing up and my only advice would have been to pay attention.
This month, that still applies. We are heading into 2020 and this year will be pivotal on so many levels. Pay Attention.
- Truth Matters.
- Facts Matter.
- Accurate, in-depth Journalism Matters.
- Elected Officials who put the well-being of their constituents over money & politics Matter.
- Standing up for what is right Matters.
- Paying Attention Matters!
A few things to consider:
- The 4th Annual Women’s March – WOMEN RISING – is scheduled for Saturday, January 18, 2020. BE THERE!! https://womensmarch.com/2020
- Work on local elections – especially, making Gardner a one-term senator!!!
- Work where it will make the biggest difference:
- Find 2020’s biggest races. Register voters. Call voters. Text voters. Knock on doors. Donate. Volunteer. Congregate. Fundraise. Help spread the word. All this and more: https://t.co/wLTCMbcQBS
- Check out Vote.org, TextOut, & Open Progress. They are joining forces to mobilize voters in six key states––and the most exciting part? The voters they are talking to are voters of color or young voters. For too long, these Americans have been overlooked with the focus on older, whiter voters. These are the voices that haven’t been engaged in our democratic process. Give a few hours to democracy – you need to be in this fight.
- Learn about Stacey Abrams’ Fair Fight – https://fairfight.com/
- Educate yourself about the importance of the 2020 Census – https://www.prb.org/importance-of-us-census/
- Support the Democratic nominee – https://pledge.indivisible.org
- Get others to vote – especially in swing states
- Educate yourself about the issues:
- Climate Change
- Women’s Rights / Women’s Choice
- Voter Suppression
- Gun Laws
- Dark Money
- I could go on and on, but pick the ones that matter the most to you!
The INSANITY continues…We have now come to the point where Congress will either investigate and impeach using simple, irrefutable evidence or we will devolve into chaos stirred daily by the president and his minions. Let’s hope that, given the current evidence and daily additions, the House will conduct itself in a professional manner and present clear, concise articles of impeachment for a vote. The issue will then be whether the Senate Republicans will vote their conscience and put country over party. I hope the evidence will be so damning that senators of both parties will be compelled to convict! The soul of our democracy is at stake. Call Corey Gardner out on his obfuscation around the scathing data on the president’s behavior – (202) 224-5941.
AND…in the midst of the absurdity that has become DC, the rest of the nation’s political world goes on! There are several VERY important elections in November (bellwethers for 2020)…and a chance to make a statement about the corruption of the current administration. Help if you can – call, text, write postcards, donate, contact any friends that you have in the states listed below and encourage them to VOTE!
The 2019 state elections will impact the redistricting that will follow the 2020 United States Census, as many states task governors and state legislators with drawing new boundaries for state legislative and Congressional districts. Republicans will defend their “trifecta” (unified control of the governorship and the state legislature) in Kentucky and Mississippi, while Democrats will defend their trifecta in New Jersey. The other two states holding elections, Louisiana and Virginia, both have a divided government, meaning that each major party controls the governorship or at least one legislative chamber.
Three states will hold gubernatorial elections in 2019:
- Kentucky: One-term Republican Matt Bevinis seeking re-election. He faces Democrat Attorney General Andy Beshear.
- Louisiana: One-term Democrat John Bel Edwardsis seeking re-election. On the Republican side, U.S. Rep. Ralph Abraham and businessman Eddie Rispone have qualified. This is a ‘jungle’ election – the candidate getting 50+% of the vote wins. If no one gets that level, the top two candidates run again.
- Mississippi: Attorney General Jim Hoodis the Democratic nominee. Lt.Gov. Tate Reeves is the Republican nominee.
Legislative elections will be held for both houses of the Louisiana Legislature, the Mississippi Legislature, and the Virginia General Assembly, as well as the lower house of the New Jersey Legislature.
This is why states are SO IMPORTANT!!
Activities in October:
- Monday, October 14– Ballots mailed to all Boulder County voters.
- Monday, October 28– Last day to register and still be mailed a ballot / last day to request a replacement ballot be mailed to you. Note: Colorado DOES NOT have a registration deadline. Eligible voters can register and vote on the same day at any Voter Service Center.
Saturday, October 19 – World Singing Day on Pearl Street Mall!!
Come and join the company of 500 singers and non-singers belting out their favorite pop tunes on a sunny day on Pearl Street Mall. You will get your own lyric book for all the songs you’ve mumbled along to on the radio. Make it a special Saturday:
- Buy great local produce at the Boulder Farmers’ Market
- Have lunch at one of the great restaurants on the Pearl Street Mall – maybe the soon to be opened Food Courts – Avanti (in the old Cheesecake Factory) and Rosetta Hall (in the old Walnut Brewery)
- 2 – 3 pm or so…singing and swaying to your favorite hits from the past and today.
The idea of bringing our divided world together by singing is a start. Scott Johnson who founded this tradition in Boulder now has 37 events in nine countries singing with us on the 19th…from Australia to Iceland. Getting everyone to vote is critical, but let’s not forget the age-old adage with personal modification: Let there be Peace on earth and let it begin with me…singing.
Monday, October 28th – National Immigrant Day event sponsored by BoldeReach, Museum of Boulder and Community Foundation Boulder County. 5:30 PM at the Museum of Boulder. RSVP HERE. Also, Hispanic Heritage Month began on Sunday 9.15.19 (because seven Latin American nations celebrate independence in September/October). This event is a great way to learn more about immigrants in Boulder County and the United States’ 60 million Hispanic residents.
I struggled with where to start for writing about the CRAZY month of August. The continued insanity of this administration leaves me without words some days – crazy tariffs, lack of respect on the world stage, EPA rollbacks, immigration crisis, no movement on gun violence and so many more attacks on the foundations of our democracy. Sometimes I get so discouraged I feel like pulling a blanket over my head and sleeping until it is over…but I know that it won’t be over until I do my part to end it!!
Step up and do what you can!! Here are the things that I am doing in 2019:
- Work on big elections for November 2019 – Turn Virginia BLUE / Up the Democrats representation in the Mississippi legislature
- Learn about and support organizations getting people registered and motivated to VOTE
- Follow Stacy Abrams work at Fair Fight 2020
- Fair Vote
- New Era Colorado – We need young people to VOTE!! They will be the most impacted by the worsening climate change, economic situations and human rights violations. This amazing Colorado organization signs up college and high school students and educates them on voting rights and issues. They are holding a fundraiser on Thursday, Sept. 12. Send me a reply email if you would like more info on the event.
- Learn about and support organizations working to end GERRYMANDERING
Doing this work stops the feeling of helplessness that overwhelms me sometimes.
A few comments on things that are of concerning me this month:
GUNS – Call Cory Gardner and DEMAND that he work to implement sane gun laws
- ANOTHER mass shooting just yesterday
- A big seller for school supplies this school year is bullet-proof backpacks
- A kindergartener came home this week in tears because his class had to practice a lockdown drill and hide in a closet. He wasn’t so upset about the drill, but was particularly concerned for his friend who is in a wheelchair and couldn’t fit into the closet.
ENVIRONMENT – think about your personal impact AND call Cory Gardner and tell him to support climate science
A very disturbing story on how being a consumer impacts the Amazon in ways that we don’t know – palm oil in cosmetics, leather in shoes, wood in furniture…the list goes on.
HOW TO HELP
Be a smart / minimalist consumer.
Support suppressing the fires:
- https://www.amazonteam.org/ fights climate change, protects the Amazon and empowers indigenous peoples.
- https://www.rainforesttrust.org/to help buy land in the rainforest. The organization has saved over 23 million acres and counting since 1988.
- https://www.amazonconservation.org/accepts donations and lists exactly what your money goes toward –– whether it’s planting trees, sponsoring education, buying a solar panel, or preserving indigenous lands.
- https://www.amazonfrontlines.org/is forwarding donations to firefighters in the Amazon.
Join the YOUTH GLOBAL CLIMATE STRIKE is scheduled for September 20th…go to strikewithus.org for more info.
Boulder Colorado Starbucks Climate Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 12:00 PM
Outside patio corner of Pearl and 28th St / 2770 Pearl St, Boulder, CO 80304
Colorado Climate Strike – Denver Friday, September 20, 2019 • 11:00 AM
Begin outside of Union Station. March down 16th Street Mall to the Colorado State Capitol.
1700 Wewatta Street , Denver, CO 80202
IMMIGRATION – call Cory Gardner and tell him to support comprehensive immigration reform
- Families are still being separated / incarcerated
- Conditions in immigration ‘facilities’ are producing disease outbreaks
- Sick immigrant children are threatened with deportation
- Children of some American soldiers overseas are being denied automatic citizenship
- Many businesses are struggling because they depend on immigrant workers
- The president is defying the 14th amendment to the Constitution and threatening birthright citizenship
————–ANOTHER CALENDAR ITEM—————————–
The Boulder County Clerk & Recorder is hosting a series of four community presentations at various locations around Boulder County over the next month. These community presentations provide a unique opportunity to learn about what happens behind the scenes to ensure an efficient, accurate, and secure election and offer the community an intimate setting to get to know their new County Clerk & Recorder, Molly Fitzpatrick. The presentation will include information about the next four upcoming elections, ballot processing basics, voter statistics, recent legislative impacts on elections, election security, and more. What: Four Elections in 12 Months – What you need to know as a voter, plus voter statistics, election security, legislative changes, and more! Presented by Molly Fitzpatrick, Boulder County Clerk & Recorder When & Where: Lafayette: Tuesday, Sept. 3, 6 p.m. – Liquid Mechanics Brewery, 297 N. Hwy 287 Boulder: Thursday, Sept. 5, 6 p.m. – Clerk & Recorder’s office in Boulder – 1750 33rd Street CU
Who should attend: Any interested community members. RSVP Requested, but not required: https://boco.org/2019ElectionPresentations The presentation and Q&A session are expected to last about one hour. Light refreshments will be served. RSVP appreciated for an accurate headcount.
- Sign-up to Voter and Election emails(Emails sent very infrequently. Mostly during election periods. After entering email, scroll to the bottom and select just the “Voter and Election Information” option.)
I would really like to wake up just one day and have the headlines be something like, “Comprehensive Immigration Plan passes the Senate” or “Thousands of new jobs created in green industries” or “Election security measures put in place for all 50 states”… you get the idea. None of these or even other important issues will be addressed unless we elect Democrats in 2019/2020 at the local, state and national level AND take back the Senate & presidency in 2020.
Just this year, there are more than 85,000 seats up for grabs in November – including the critical state legislative elections in Virginia (which will determine who redraws the commonwealth’s district maps after the Census…plus things like health care, gun control, & more.) and Mississippi (a very red state with the possibility of inroads!). Elections will hinge on voter turnout and great candidates.
NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNLESS WE CHANGE IT!! Check out these organizations for ways you can be involved this year and next:
- The Grassroots Redistricting Project
- Spread the Vote – working to get people who have never voted to VOTE
- Project ID initiative – helping citizens obtain IDs required for voting
- Vote Forward – volunteers writing to unregistered and low propensity voters to encourage them to vote
- Postcards to Voters – volunteers writing ‘Get Out the Vote’ postcards in critical districts
- Open Progress – volunteers texting voters
- Sister District – volunteers to help in districts beyond their on to elect Democratic Candidates
- Future Now – fundraising for state races
- Unify or Die – raising funds to support whomever is the Democratic nominee for President
- SuperMajority – female activists organizing to transform this country
- Emily’s List – working to elect progressive female candidates
- She Should Run – supporting women running for office
- Get Her Elected – pro bono training for women candidates
- HigherHeights for America Pac– focused on electing women of color
- Victory Institute – supporting LGBTQ candidates
- Emerge America – recruits, trains and supports women who want to run for office
- Ignite National – working with young women to become civically engaged
- BallotReady – candidate information specific to your location
- We Vote – online help with information on all candidates on your ballot
SOME CALENDAR EVENTS:
Joe Neguse (CO-02), Town Hall August 1
- Town Hall with Sen. Michael Foote & Rep. Sonya Jaquez Lewis
- Thu, Aug 1 2019
- 5:30 PM, MDT
- Louisville Public Library
- 951 Spruce St, Louisville, CO 80027
A two-part series – August 14 and September 12
The Community Foundation Boulder County is committed to a vision where Boulder County is a place of just and fair inclusion where all can participate, prosper and reach their own potential. Dr. Nita Mosby Tyler, Chief Catalyst and Founder of The Equity Project, LLC will facilitate this series.
The first session will focus on how actions to increase diversity, equality, and inclusivity are tools towards creating equity and how the Foundation’s current learning focus is inclusivity. The session will break down what all these words really mean, provide broader cultural context for the work, and explore what you would like to learn in the second session. Dr. Tyler will design the second session based on your feedback so that the content is tailored to the needs of the series’ cohort.
Wednesday, August 14 5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Via Mobility Services, 2855 North 63rd Street, Boulder
Thursday, September 12 5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Via Mobility Services, 2855 North 63rd Street, Boulder
Register by email to Shiquita@commfound.org or by phone to Shiquita Yarbrough, 303.442.0436 x100. Please register before August 9 and specify if you wish to attend only the first session or both.
We encourage signing up for both sessions, but if you can only sign up for one session, the first is the appropriate session.
Thoughts for 2020:
No clear Democratic candidate emerged from the debates (my opinion). So happy that the women stood out – Harris & Warren. Pretty sad performances by the Colorado representatives!!
The 2020 election is going to be tough because of the influence of dark money, foreign meddling, gerrymandering at the state and congressional level, grandstanding by Trump, GOP lies, social media lies, Fox News and other nastiness.
Buckle up and do EVERYTHING you can to support progressive candidates at the local, state and national level. IT REALLY MATTERS!!! Check out the Super State Strategy at Swing Left: https://swingleft.org/p/super-state-strategy
Mueller testifies on July 17th – Mueller will testify in open session before the House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees. I don’t think there will be any bombshells that will move the needle for the people who are sucked into the ‘no collusion, no obstruction’ vortex, but it will be interesting to see if he answers question outside just the words in the report.
If you want the real deal, Audible has a reading of the full text of the Mueller Report for free at their website.
If you want an entertaining Cliff Notes version, check out: Muellerbookclub.com
a live play based on the Mueller Report called The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in 10 Acts. https://www.facebook.com/muellerbookclub/videos/289690015147362/
Supreme Court Update:
- Good News: Census question rejected…so then, true to form, Trump asks to delay the census!!
- Bad News:
- Gerrymandering referred back to local courts with the caveat that this is not a question for the courts! This probably leaves the decision to the legislatures that did the gerrymandering in the first place.
- Thomas hints at overturning precedence (i.e. abortion protection) despite the consensus in the country – NPR/PBS Poll: 77% of all Americans support Roe v. Wade
“The decision whether or not to bear a child is central to a woman’s life, to her well-being and dignity. It is a decision she must make for herself. When Government controls that decision for her, she is being treated as less than a fully adult human responsible for her own choices.” RBG
Also, last month I left out an important health provider in our area – Boulder Valley Women’s Health Center. The Center was established in 1973, just months after Roe. They are the only provider that has an abortion fund to assist low-income/uninsured patients.
They also provide the majority of the sex-ed in middle and high-school classrooms in the Boulder Valley and St. Vrain Valley School Districts.
If you know of women who need their services, their offices are located at 2855 Valmont Road in Boulder or 82 21st Ave., Suite C in Longmont.
If you would like to support them: https://www.boulderwomenshealth.org/contents/donate
IMMIGRATION UPDATE: Migrant Children are still being held as ‘prisoners’ in detention camps where the conditions are deplorable.
Join local, state, & national Democratic leaders for ice cream in North Boulder Park (north side of the shelter). The conversation will be led by Dave Krieger, Colorado Sun journalist, with special guest U.S. Representative Joe Neguse. There will also be plenty of opportunities to share your views for progress & change!
Free & open to all – bring your kids
Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6 PM, North Boulder Park
ICE facilities here in Colorado are reported ‘deficient’!
- Colorado People’s Alliance (https://coloradopeoplesalliance.org/) is a group that is working on immigrant-related issues, including holding the for-profit management company, GEO Group, who runs the Aurora Detention Center, responsible. Several events are scheduled in July. Details on their website.
<– I remember vacationing in Montana in 1975 and seeing this on a postcard.
I thought it was really funny at the time. No more. This is no laughing matter.
Women are being treated as though they are children; incapable of making decisions about their own bodies; their own lives.
Abortion is a horrific choice for a woman to have to make, but it happens because sex education of young people is insufficient, contraceptives are often expensive and/or difficult to obtain, clinics like Planned Parenthood – who provide health coverage & contraceptive education – are sometimes hundreds of miles away, Medicaid is not available in the states with the highest rate of abortion, adoption – especially for children of color – is practically non-existent & unwanted children often lead miserable lives.
Politicians – mostly men – who focus on the act of abortion, but not on ANY of the conditions that lead women to make that choice are amoral and should be VOTED OUT!!! See ELECTING WOMEN below…
Alabama’s Biggest Newspapers Publish Essays By 200 Women On Abortion Ban
Alabama Media Group newspapers devoted their Sunday editions to the voices of women because “a majority of men in the state legislature spoke for them.” To hear their stories: https://topics.al.com/tag/Reckon%20Voices%20of%20Women/
In Boulder County:
NARAL – Women’s Freedom Fund (a member of the National Network of Abortion Funds)
ELECT WOMEN ————————————-
The disaster of state governments being controlled by anti-abortion zealots must be changed. See the difference having women in the majority can make by reading about the first female majority legislature in Nevada…
Since January, the male old guard in Carson City has been shaken up by the perspectives of female lawmakers. Bills prioritizing women’s health and safety have soared to the top of the agenda. Mounting reports of sexual harassment have led one male lawmaker to resign. And policy debates long dominated by men, including prison reform and gun safety, are yielding to female voices. Read more »
HOW YOU CAN HELP!! Here are two great organizations, Swing Left & Flippable, who have joined together to create a laser focused effort to elect progressive women (and men) at the state and national level: https://blog.flippable.org/flippable-is-joining-the-swing-left-family-394259045881
Swing Left: https://swingleft.org/
GUN VIOLENCE ———————————–
I planned to write about the STEM school shooting this month, but so many other crazy things are happening and yesterday the Virginia Beach massacre stole the headlines. Electing legislators who truly care about gun safety is critical. Help where ever you can!! The trauma never ends for the people impacted – Austin Eubanks, one of the students shot at Columbine 20 years ago, committed suicide just last week.
For more on gun violence in Colorado: Info on Colorado’s 20,669 gun deaths since 1980, explained in five charts (from the Colorado Sun – a great local journalistic resource).
The Democratic Trifecta in Colorado accomplished a LOT this session. Click HERE to see the details!! To see an article on how the new laws will impact you, click HERE.
Top activists launch Supermajority to harness women’s political power
Three of the nation’s most influential activists are launching a group called Supermajority to harness women’s political power.
Details: The group is the creation of Cecile Richards, former head of Planned Parenthood; Alicia Garza, co-founder of Black Lives Matter; and Ai-jen Poo, executive director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
2020 is coming soon, but APRIL is election day in MANY states…https://ballotpedia.org/April_2,_2019,_election_results. LOCAL ELECTIONS MATTER!! See more on Colorado legislation below.
But first, the national insanity continues:
- The Barr non-report on the Mueller report…still hoping to see the real deal. Subpoenas are flying!! For some clarification on what the Barr summary actually said (no conspiracy to commit – but not ‘no collusion’ – and ‘not exonerated’ on obstruction) read THIS.
- Trump is trying once AGAIN to demolish the Obama’ legacy ACA. The GOP is terrified of touching Obamacare…and they should be! The GOP healthcare plan looks like this: ‘ ’. Death by a thousand cuts on the ACA have produced this:
$88 billion – The amount Americans borrowed to pay for health care last year, according to a new study. Also, 65 million adults say they had a health issue but didn’t seek treatment due to cost. Nearly a quarter had to cut back on personal spending to pay for health care or medicine.
- Security expert whistleblowers say ‘fake’ national security clearances endanger our national security.
- Inept appointees and lobbyists are running the government…especially at the EPA!!
- More threats on the border…and now to cuts to aid for the ‘3 Mexican countries’ that actually improve conditions so that citizens can stay in their own country!! Fox ‘News’ continues to be the propaganda arm of the Administration!
- I could go on, but better to talk about some good news on the home front…and proof that paying attention at the state and local level matters!! The Colorado Legislature has passed or intends to pass:
- More local control over oil & gas development / Representative appointees to the Oil & Gas Commission
- Comprehensive sex education (with parental op out)
- Full day kindergarten
- Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPO), also called the ‘red flag’ bill
- Enhanced registration / voting measures
- National Popular Vote – this one is controversial
- Improved Health care – transparency, drug prices, trials for public option
- Support for education – subsidies for teachers, training for principals, tax credits for teachers
- Improvements in affordable housing
- Ability to identify as an alternative gender
- And much more…HERE
Stay woke!! It takes a LOT of energy just to deal with the day to day cruelty of the GOP. Paul Krugman calls this cruelty a pre-existing condition.
There is a lot going on in the Democratic Party to find candidates who will take on the GOP to elect progressives locally, keep the US House, win back the US Senate and defeat the president and his minions. LOTS of opportunities to support candidates by volunteering, texting, writing postcards, donating. Check out candidate websites for more information.
Several interesting donation opportunities to support whomever wins the Democratic presidential nomination…like Unify or Die.
Another TOTALLY insane month featuring the DC Reality Show!!
Thank goodness for the work you did to produce this:
SOTU 2019 – Women in White steal the show!!! GOP – Men in Black
16 Democratic Women Representatives
13 Republican Women Representatives
89 Democratic Women Representatives
13 Republican Women Representatives
In the Colorado Legislature: Already moving on laws for gun safety, fair wages, comprehensive sex education, oil & gas regulation, national popular vote…and more.
A few calendar items:
SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 2019 – STOP THE FAKE EMERGENCY
Write postcard to Sen. Gardner TO VOTE YES ON THE CASTRO RESOLUTION PASSED IN THE HOUSE. It clearly states that Trump’s emergency declaration is terminated because there is no crisis on the border.
9 AM in the Frasier Meadows Assembly Room 4th Floor. Frasier Indivisibles will provide postcards and stamps. Bring a pen.
If you can’t make the postcard party, CALL Cory Gardner (855) 971-2329 OR email him at https://www.gardner.senate.gov/contact-cory/email-cory
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6, 2019 – GET DARK MONEY OUT OF POLITICS
As part of International Women’s Day activities (See March 8), Women Powering Change Wednesday, March 6th, 4:00-7:30 at EXDO in Denver.
FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2019 – INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
World Denver is holding a luncheon and seminar. Groups all over Colorado are holding events focusing on women during March 2-10. If you have an even, contact Channel 4. They will put the event on their website calendar and promote it on their news programs. More info here: https://worlddenver.org/International_Women_s_Day
FRIDAY, MARCH 15, 2019 – NATIONAL SCHOOL STRIKE FOR THE CLIMATE
With the support of some of the world’s biggest environmental groups, tens of thousands of kids in at least two dozen countries and nearly 30 U.S. states plan to skip school to protest.
Their demands are uncompromising: Nations must commit to cutting fossil-fuel emissions in half in the next 10 years to avoid catastrophic global warming. And their message is firm: Kids are done waiting for adults to save their world.
The protests have really taken off in parts of Europe and Australia with hundreds of thousands of students striking in the past two months alone…now it comes to the US.
YOU DID THIS!!!!
COLORADO’S BLUE LEGISLATURE
WOMEN IN THE HOUSE
- In Colorado, Democrats swept ALL the statewide races: Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Treasure, CU regent at large..That is HUGE! In Colorado it wasn’t a blue wave it was a Blue Tsunami!
- The election of Jared Polis to the governorship, Jason Crow to Congress, Democrats to all three other constitutional offices — in addition to flipping the state Senate and holding the House — has turned Colorado bluer than it’s been since 1936.
- Jason Crowe flipped a red seat blue by beating the previously unbeatable 5 term US congressman Mike Coffman by a comfortable margin.
- While Karen McCormick, Diane Mitsch Bush and Stephany Spaulding lost their races for US Congress in traditional Republican strongholds, they out performed previous elections by tens of thousands of votes each playing a crucial role in helping the Dems sweep the other state races!
- In the Colorado State Senate the Republicans previously held a one seat majority 18-17 (continually blocking Democratic bills) then came the Fab 5 (Rep. Jessie Danielson, Rep. Faith Winter, Sen. Kerry Donovan, Rep. Brittany Pettersen, and Tammy Story), five great women running to win back the majority…they all won! Democrats now have a 19-16 majority.
- The Democrats now have a Colorado State Trifecta, controlling the Governorship, State Senate & State House (where the Dems also picked up several seats)
- Passage of Amendments Y & Z. This is a game changing accomplishment for Colorado, creating a model that states all across the U.S. can follow to increase fairness and competitiveness in elections and to help get rid of gerrymandering!
- As an added bonus – Gardner (and an unidentified CU Regent) Are Now The Lone Republicans Holding Statewide Office in Colorado
Celebrate this historic moment in Colorado politics!
AND Nationally, the average age of Congress will now be a DECADE younger, thanks to the fabulous candidates elected at the midterms!!
ALWAYS REMEMBER, there is really no such thing as “not voting.” If you do not cast a ballot, you are effectively “voting” to allow other people to make decisions for you without YOUR input.
If you don’t want the president described below, keep working to elect intelligent, inclusive, upstanding candidates!!
“I do try, and I always want to tell the truth. When I can, I tell the truth.” the president of the United States.
And don’t forget about healthcare, immigration, women’s rights, climate change, criminal justice, sane gun laws, dark money in campaign finance, voter suppression, gerrymandering, etc. Our newly elected Congress MUST work on these critical issues.
Call, write, tweet, facebook, text, show up and let your representatives know what is important to you!!
JUST IN CASE: There are active discussions at the White House about firing Mueller and/or Rosenstein. If this happens, hundreds of thousands of people will instantly rally at hundreds of Rapid Response actions organized by Nobody is Above the Law, a coalition of many groups, spearheaded by MoveOn. See below to sign up for one of these events (they are occurring in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, and other CO locations). If you choose to attend an event, you agree to engage in nonviolent, peaceful action, to act lawfully, and to strive to de-escalate any potential confrontations with those who may disagree with these values.
Hosted by Kenneth N. Geof C. Lani C. william C. Ira L. Bruce N. Wendy R. Katherine F. Pearl Street Mall, old Boulder County Courthouse, Boulder, CO 80302
Trump is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. But nobody is above the law. If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. Sign up and be ready to assemble on short notice.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Kathy P. Jaymi D. Michael B. Ira C. Nancy M.
6th and Main, Longmont, CO 80501
Rapid Response! to protest Trump’s firing of special counsel.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Jessica Z. Katherine F.
Colorado State Capitol, Denver, CO 80203
If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. The following are the red lines, which if crossed, could trigger the call for national actions, communicated by national partners to hosts: 1.) Firing Mueller 2.) Pardons of key witnesses 3.) Actions that would prevent the investigation from being conducted freely, such as replacing Mueller’s current supervisor, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, or repealing the regulations establishing the office. In the case of a Mueller firing, please assume the plan has been engaged and events will be triggered nationally. In the event of key pardons, a change in Rosenstein’s relationship to the investigation, or other scenarios, a national coalition will decide as rapidly as possible whether it believes the red line has been crossed sufficient to communicate a national call to action. In such cases, local hosts are encouraged to look for notice of national decisions from MoveOn in SMS and email, but to feel empowered to proceed locally as they see fit.