Remember the feeling of power
from participating in the
Denver Women’s Marches, March for Life (reproductive rights), March for Science, March for Education, March for Taxes, March for Our Lives (guns), March for Keeping Families Together?
DO IT ALL AGAIN…
POWER TO THE POLLS!!!
Renew you commitment to the fight against the administration’s agenda for the LONG HAUL!! Given republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches, resistance must be an on-going activity. We are entering one of the most critical years in our nation’s history – INSIST, RESIST, PERSIST…and remember: Preserve Yourself to Preserve The Country…this is a marathon, not a sprint. The election process in 2018 will determine the fate of our country for years to come. Participate where you can, encourage your family/friends/colleagues to participate AND ALWAYS VOTE!!
This site is provided as a tool for staying engaged related to resisting actions of the administration that do not support a progressive agenda for our nation. A calendar of local ACTIONS with a NATIONAL focus is shown below.
DON’T STOP RESISTING!!
SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT – 2018!!
- POWER TO THE POLLS – VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
- Stay informed about all the sleazy stuff that is going on while 45 is distracting us with his insanity.
- For something more upbeat: SMALL VICTORIES
Since this is about the mental and physical health of children & Gardner is NEVER AVAILABLE, in Gardner’s office, ask to speak directly to:
Curtis Swager, Legislative Director
Alison Tole, Legislative Assistance for Health, Women’s Issues
June was a rough month & July doesn’t look much better. Don’t despair – insist, resist, persist. Here are some facts to make you feel better.
- Immigration protests caused the president to back down for the first time in his term
- Hundreds of thousands of defiant protesters gathered nationwide just yesterday to demand that we keep families together.
- Alabama now has a Democratic Senator
- A record # of Democrats & women are running for office
- Conor Lamb flipped a district Trump won by 20%
- 39 seats have flipped red to blue in the last 12 months. The GOP has flipped 4.
WE ARE 4 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE. THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
WEEK of JULY 9
#SaveSCOTUS – From Monday, July 9 until Friday, July 13, across the nation, resisters are showing up at Senate District Offices to demand senators protect our democracy— our choice, our affordable health care, our rights— and #SaveSCOTUS. Indivisible, MoveOn, Demand Justice, NARAL Pro-Choice America, People For the American Way, Center for American Progress Action, Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Protect Our Care and others are sponsors.
You are urged to pressure your GOP senator(s), especially swing-vote Republicans such as Senators Susan Collins of Maine (202-224-2523) and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska (202-224-6665) to oppose any high court nominee who does not honor existing law and offer a non-political focus on upholding the law. Also targeted are red-state Democratic senators…Sherrod Brown-Ohio, Tammy Baldwin-Wisconsin, Bob Casey-Pennsylvania, Debbie Stabenow-Michigan, Joe Donnelly-Indiana, Claire McCaskill-Missouri, Jon Tester-Montana, Heidi Heitkamp-North Dakota and Joe Manchin-West Virginia.
WEEK of July 16
Thursday, July 19, 2018 – Support the EMPOWER Act EMPOWER Act—workplace harassment legislation which was introduced by Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris of California and Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska. Here is how the EMPOWER Act will increase transparency and accountability for workplace harassment:
- Establish a confidential tip-line for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to receive reports about harassment
- Require public companies to disclose information about settlements and judgements connected to workplace harassment
- Prohibit companies from receiving tax deductions for expenses related to workplace harassment litigation
All-of-us must roll up our sleeves and end systemic harassment in the workplace. Call your MoCs and ask them to support the EMPOWER Act.
Friday, July 20, 2018 – In Colorado, Mike Coffman (R-CO06) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
Saturday, July 21, 2018 – The Youth Climate March – This is Zero Hour • 10:30 AM, Washington D.C. • 120 Constitution Ave NE, Washington, DC 20004. Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, July 22, 2018 – Check out the Environmental Voter Project The Environmental Voter Project aims to significantly increase voter demand for progressive environmental policy by identifying inactive environmentalists and then turning them into consistent activists and voters.
WEEK of JULY 23
Monday, July 23, 2018 – In 2020, Millennials will be a larger voting block than Baby Boomers!! They are already making their voices heard for the 2018 elections. Make sure that any young people you know understand how important it is for them to make their voices heard by VOTING!! Support them – we need them to speak out about their future (and ours)!!
In Colorado: www.Neweracolorado.org – an innovative organization focused on hands-on democracy that engages, educates and trains a new generation of active citizens and young leaders in Colorado.
Nationally: www.Votergy.org – a non-profit focused on strengthening American democracy by getting young voters of all backgrounds to the polls.
Tuesday, July 24, 2018 – Indivisible Front Range is partnering with Environmental Voter Project to do phone banking from 6 – 8:30pm at Chill Digital Marketing • 1800 30th Street #216, Boulder, CO 80301. We will be helping EVP Get Out The Vote to environmentalists in the Front Range area. Food will be provided. Register HERE!
Wednesday, July 25, 2018 – Now that the candidates for November 2018 are selected, MANY Colorado groups are working to elect state candidates in flippable districts – Check these out!!
Colorado Resistance # Check out the Colorado Resistance Manual HERE. An Indivisible Guide for Colorado, by Coloradans – How to win state and local elections & resist Republican gerrymandering in Colorado
Thursday, July 26, 2018 – Check out Swing Left Summer Update Calls. Join the calls for a review of progress and what’s coming up to help prepare for winning back the House this November.
Friday, July 27, 2018 – Fighting Climate Change is Expensive, but the Cost of Letting It Happen is EVEN BIGGER – read the Harvard Business Review analysis. A common political talking point is that fighting climate change is bad for the economy. The flip side is that climate change itself is bad for the economy and investing in climate resilience is not only a national security priority, but an enormous economic opportunity.
The share of national GDP at risk from climate change exceeds $1.5 trillion in the 301 major cities around the world. Including the impact of human pandemics – which are likely to become more severe as the planet warms — the figure increases to nearly $2.2 trillion in economic output at risk through 2025. Consider:
- Superstorm Sandy, which devastated the Eastern Seaboard in 2012, causing $68 billion in damages, making it the second most costly weather event in the U.S. after Hurricane Katrina.
- Record snowfall in Boston of more than 100 inches in the winter of 2015 shut down transit systems for weeks and made it difficult, if not impossible, for some employees to get to work.
- The“rain bomb” that imperiled the Oroville Dam in California earlier this year threatened the displacement of more than 250,000 downstream residents.
- A similar rain bomb effectively destroyed historic downtown Ellicott City TWICE, just outside of Washington D.C.
- Air quality and smog red alerts and the complete bans on vehicle traffic in major cities around the world highlight how traditional commerce and supply chains can and do grind to a halt because of climate risks.
With rising temperatures comes an increase in vector-borne diseases, which have been traditionally relegated as sub-tropical threats. Mosquito-borne West Nile virus is already endemic in much of the U.S., which does not bode well for containing the risk of Zika. The US is TOTALLY out of step as evidenced by the near unanimous support from more than 190 countries. The response from U.S. state and city leaders underscores how many leaders are remaining steadfast to the Paris Agreement notwithstanding the administration’s short-term thinking.
Saturday, July 28, 2018 – Clean Energy Sector Employs More Than 10 Million For The First Time – Read the Forbes report. The renewable energy sector is one of the fastest growing employers in the U.S., with solar alone accounting for nearly 400,000 jobs, proving that investing in climate resilience not only makes for good policy, it makes for good business. The business opportunities of investing in climate change, renewable energy, and human adaptation are big enough to create a new generation successful corporations.
Sunday, July 29, 2018 – I recently had a question about the suggestion to ‘call your MoCs’ over contacting them by email, fax, twitter, facebook, online communication forms, etc. Info on why to call below:
I don’t have any formal data that says phone calls are more effective than other forms of communication – like email, faxes, online communication forms, etc. What I have found is that written communication is used as a ‘count’ by Congressional offices…i.e. a count on an issue as a yes or no… not much attention paid to content. On a phone call, you are still a yes or no, but you can ask that a specific message be given to your MoC. The person answering always says then will relay your request. I don’t know if they do more than provide a summary of the day’s calls to the MoC, but calls provide an opportunity to get more specific input to your MoC. Whenever possible, try to get someone on the phone, rather than leaving a voicemail (which, like an email, can be ignored). Be bold, and ask to speak directly to your member of Congress. If you are told that is not possible, ask to speak to the aide who handles the issue you are calling about…don’t take no for an answer. Ask to hold until that person is available. Be clear about the specific action you want the member to take, such as a committee vote. Throughout, politeness and civility are vital.
Monday, July 30, 2018 – Check out Mobilize America – MobilizeAmerica connects volunteers with campaigns across the country. Find high-impact opportunities to elect progressive candidates near you.
Tuesday, July 31, 2018 – And to end the month on a note of optimism:
Do Not Lose Heart, We Were Made for These Times, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
“It is hard to say which one of the current egregious matters has rocked people’s worlds and beliefs more. Ours is a time of almost daily jaw-dropping astonishment and often righteous rage over the latest degradations of what matters most to civilized, visionary people…
…You are right in your assessments. The lustre and hubris some have aspired to while endorsing acts so heinous against children, elders, everyday people, the poor, the unguarded, the helpless, is breathtaking. Yet … I urge you, ask you, gentle you, to please not spend your spirit dry by bewailing these difficult times. Especially do not lose hope. Most particularly because, the fact is – we were made for these times.
Yes. For years, we have been learning, practicing, been in training for and just waiting to meet on this exact plain of engagement. I cannot tell you often enough that we are definitely the leaders we have been waiting for, and that we have been raised, since childhood, for this time precisely.
…In any dark time, there is a tendency to veer toward fainting over how much is wrong or unmended in the world. Do not focus on that. Do not make yourself ill with overwhelm. There is a tendency too to fall into being weakened by perseverating on what is outside your reach, by what cannot yet be. Do not focus there. That is spending the wind without raising the sails.
We are needed, that is all we can know.”
WE ARE 3 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE. THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
AUGUST 2018 – Mid-term Election Day 2018 is November 6
- Block out time NOW to participate in late summer/early fall canvassing & registration and prepare for Election Day get out the vote efforts.
- Volunteer with ACLU Voter – help mobilize voters in huge numbers by contacting millions of people by text messages and phone calls. Join one of the teams working hard to mobilize ACLU voters and take back our democracy by visiting our People Power site. Calling and texting is easy, effective and even fun. The ACLU has the very best calling and texting tools and resources to support you every step of the way. Your help is crucial in making this happen. Please join a special calling or texting team and leave your mark on this election.
- Join with other national groups that do this work. The organizations below can help you find local affiliates in your communities. Give them your time and/or money:
- Indivisible – They have expanded beyond support for contacting legislators to helping local affiliates get involved in elections. Indivisible played a role in helping turn the tide in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama.
- Swing Left – Their app and web site will identify the congressional district nearest to you that is held by a vulnerable Republican.
- Flippable – Their app and web site gives Swing Left type info for state legislatures
- Vote Riders – helps folks get to the polls on Election Day
- Let America Vote – fights voter suppression efforts in states
- NAACP Civic Engagement Initiative – identifies and supports community organizations working to register voters and get out the vote in African American communities.
- VotoLatino and UnidosUS – Voto Latino is focused on engaging young Latino voters and NCLR targets the broader Latino community’s engagement with elections
August 1, 2018 – PLAN AHEAD and plan your vacation time to include supporting candidates in swing states – go to your 2018 calendar, find a week in September or October that you can spend canvassing in a swing district. Make your plans. Make a difference!
August 2, 2018 – THE BLUE WAVE IS COMING!! HERE ARE GREAT IDEAS ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- A great resource for learning about these districts and potential candidates in those districts is the Colorado Resistance Guide.
- BoulderCAN is helping to educate individuals in how to throw a successful house party, as well as some of their members independently hosting parties for individual candidates.
- Hey Boulder! is doing an excellent job getting folks to send postcards.
- The national Women’s March and national YWCA announced yesterday of their partnership. Boulder’s YWCA is working on efforts to eliminate racism locally.
- BoCo Dems and MoveOn Front Range – check here for positions on their Volunteer page.
- Senator Fenberg’s newsletter keep current on areas needing our attention in 2018. From CO state bills coming to the floor and going into committee, to bills Senator Neville has introduced (SD 16’s current senator who is dangerous with his bills), Senator Fenberg’s message is clear…Be engaged and help get people registered to vote.
- Colorado Votes is doing just that. They are hands down showing folks how to get others registered better than anyone else. Reach out to them if you are passionate about getting everyone who is eligible to vote, registered.
August 3, 2018 – – The passage of the TAX BILL is a clear lesson in the limits of trying to persuade Republicans to vote humanely on major issues. But the elections in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama are an even clearer lesson that we can organize to win back electoral power even in places that were unthinkable. The most important lesson of 2017 is that when we are organized we win elections. We all need to be making plans for doing our part to Take Back Congress. These recent elections prove that there is energy and hope at the state and local levels. Here’s what we need to do:
- Support passionate, sane candidates at every level of government. Our top priority is to win back Congress but we also need to win back state legislatures and governorships in order to control the Congressional redistricting that will follow the 2020 Census. It is important to contest every elected office, and not just in swing districts. We are working for the long run – towards a nationwide political realignment.
- Encourage others – talented friends, colleagues, neighbors, relatives, yourself? . – to become involved in local politics: to serve on local advisory boards; volunteer to help local campaigns; or run for school board, city councils, special districts etc. Local government is powerful and it is the farm team for national politics.
- Support non-traditional candidates – people of color, naturalized citizens, women, LGBTQ folks, young adults and those with disabilities. We need our candidates to reflect everyone in our communities.
- Work in multi-racial, multi-ethnic coalitions to register all eligible voters, fight voter suppression & get out the vote on Election Day. The field work in Alabama showed us what can happen when this kind of “boots on the ground” work is done by groups that reflect the demographics of marginalized populations.
- Register voters, fight Republican voter suppression & Get Out the Vote. This is the nitty gritty work & it requires setting aside time to volunteer, campaign & win.
August 4, 2018 – – Download the Stance app – Calling congress is the most effective way to make your voice heard. Congressional phone lines are often busy. Voicemail is often full. You might spend ages on hold, or keep calling back until overwhelmed congressional staffers clear clogged inboxes. A new app called Stance helps overcome these democracy-hindering headaches. It lets you record messages for your elected representatives, then delivers them at night when phone lines aren’t so busy. Stance sends your message directly to your representative’s phone and twitter handle, and also posts them on takeastance.us for others to be inspired. You can record your message anytime, anywhere.
August 5, 2018 – Purchase The Resistance Handbook: 45 Ways to Fight Trump Markos Moulitsas, founder of the Daily Kos, the largest progressive online community, has “written the book” on how all-of-us can fight Trump. It’s insightful, funny, and chock full of knowledge, resources, and practical advice on how to build, restore, and supercharge our democracy.
August 6, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Aug 6 – Sept 3 State Work Period Labor Day- Sept 3
August 7, 2018 – HERE’S WHO GETS HURT THE MOST BY CLIMATE CHANGE!! Southern & the poorest U.S. counties will be the hardest hit by climate change, creating an ever-widening gap between the haves and have-nots: study published in the journal Science conducted by a team of 25 economic, data and scientific researchers at Climate Impact Lab projects the potentially harmful economic effects of global warming at the local level.
The counties that will likely incur the most damaging effects of climate change are primarily in the South. Overall, if nothing is done to curb carbon emissions and the predicted warming of the planet to 6°C above pre-industrial levels occurs, the entire nation could suffer economic harm to the tune of 6 percent of its gross domestic product by the end of the century, the study says.
The study confirms what others have said — Atlantic coastal communities are expected to take a toll from rising seas and ever-strengthening hurricanes. Counties in the South and Midwest will also take a hit when farming is affected by rising temperatures and energy demands increase to meet the rising heat. One reason southern counties will be so affected is they are already inching closer to the brink of dangerous temperature thresholds, where crime increases and productivity decreases. Increases in deaths will cause the greatest economic damage as temperatures rise. Without taking a political stance, the researchers noted that “climate change tends to increase pre-existing inequality.”
August 8, 2018 – Check out the Environmental Voter Project
The Environmental Voter Project aims to significantly increase voter demand for progressive environmental policy by identifying inactive environmentalists and then turning them into consistent activists and voters.
August 9, 2018 – SUPPORT WOMEN RUNNING FOR OFFICE!! Here are the dets:
- Emerge America has reported an 87% increase in interest from women candidates.
- Emily’s List reported in April that 16,000 women have expressed interest in running for office, compared to 920 during the entire 2016 election cycle.
- She Should Run reported that 15,000 women are running for office in 2018, a massive increase since 2016
- Run for Something recruits and supports talented, passionate young people who will advocate for progressive values now and for the next 30 years, with the ultimate goal of building a progressive bench.
- Mina’s List seeks to realize women’s equal and substantive representation in national governments around the world. Research shows that more women in government leads to increased protection of women’s rights and higher standards of living for all people. Mina’s List provides educational tools and resources.
You can count on the number of women candidates running for office at the local, state, and federal level to rise. Want to get fired up about the women power that has been generated? Here’s how: Watch the first episode of She’s the Ticket. (9 minutes, 5 inspiring women).
August 10, 2018 – List Colorado women
August 11, 2018 – List national women
August 13, 2018 – CALL TO ACTION for COLORADO ELECTIONS
💔 = we can’t pass paid family leave in this state.
💔 = we can’t enact red flag laws to save lives from preventable gun violence.
💔 = the state senate is majority GOP by a *single seat*, and as a result our healthcare, education funding, public safety, housing needs, and LGBTQ rights are held at bay.
💔 = our federal GOP congress’men’, Coffman, Buck, Gardner, Tipton, and Lamborn, are toeing the party line sideways right off the cliff. They’re taking Colorado with them. They’re enablers, they’re dismantlers of the fragile framework we’ve built in this country. They must be stopped.
……………. ……………. ……………. ……………. …………….
💪 It’s just a matter of *months* before the most consequential election of our lifetime – the midterms. Indivisible Front Range Resistance (IFFR) is a group of action and they ask EVERYONE to throw IN: to the state and federal races that will help us flip the state and the country back on a path toward equity, racial consciousness and justice, and peace. IFFR is focused on three priority midterm races below. Other urgent action items will be found in the *Announcements* section HERE.
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #1: STATE SENATE DISTRICT 16
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👉 #FlipSD16 : Tammy Story for Colorado 👈
Golden, JeffCo, Superior – Tim Neville wants to arm teachers, punish sanctuary cities, prevent discounts on public transportation to low-income earners, and criminalize abortion. Tammy Story has a record of supporting public education, she advocates for public lands, infrastructure sustainability, sensible gun laws, and equal pay for equal work. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
📞 Weekly phone banking: https://www.facebook.com/events/1712224332203333/
📆 Weekly canvassing and other events can be found HERE.
📲 Sign up to volunteer directly: http://story4co.com/be-engaged/volunteer/
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #2: STATE SENATE DISTRICT 24
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👉 #FlipSD24 : Representative Faith Winter 👈
Thornton, Westminster – Faith Winter stepped to the podium at the statehouse #MeToo and never quit holding the powerful accountable. She’s running in senate district 24 to flip it. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
📆 Weekly canvassing and other events can be found HERE.
📲 Sign up to volunteer directly: http://www.faithwinter.com/get-involved/
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #3: TAKE MIKE COFFMAN’S SEAT
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👉 #WinTheSixth : Giving Mike Coffman the boot 👈
Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Centennial – Mike Coffman has been aptly described as “building great relationships with the groups he votes against.” He is a good politician in that way – branded as a moderate even though he votes 93% with the trump agenda. Here’s how to plug directly in to the work to oust him:
📆 Co Dems People to People campaign
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #4: CANVASS YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
👟👟👟 Want to walk in your own neighborhood, on your own time? Julia Bristor can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing – walk lists, training, scripts, and flyers. Contact her at jmbp2p at gmail dot com.
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
OPPORTUNITY #5: PHONEBANK
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
📞📞📞 The Colorado Democratic Party has regular weekly phonebanks from now until the elections at the Denver office at 789 Sherman St. from 5 – 7:30PM. Please email Meike Babel at email@example.com to RSVP. All phonebanks remain open from now until elections, so if you can’t help this week, we will need you whenever you are available. Please note you don’t need to come to Denver to phonebank. You can get a call list, scripts, and guidance for phone banking from the comfort of your own home. EVERY CALL YOU MAKE COUNTS!
Antarctica is pouring more than 200 billion tons of ice into the ocean annually, a rate that has tripled in the past decade and now raises sea levels a half millimeter every year. If the acceleration continues, some of scientists’ worst fears about rising oceans could be realized, leaving low-lying cities and communities with less time to prepare than they’d hoped. The result also reinforces that nations have a shorter window — perhaps no more than a decade — to cut greenhouse gas emissions if they hope to avert some of the worst consequences of climate change.
VOTE FOR CANDIDATES WHO ACKNOWLEDGE CLIMATE CHANGE AND HAVE PROMISED TO PASS LAWS TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!
August 15, 2018 – An executive order & a House GOP ‘farm’ bill include at least a half dozen ways to make it harder for low-income families and individuals to get food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The Senate has a bipartisan bill that protects social services. These bills have to be reconciled before the end of September. This is a big deal. SNAP helped 41 million Americans in January 2018 and over 80% of benefits go to households with one or more children, a senior or a person with a disability. Call your MoCs. Let them know that you oppose the Republican SNAP proposals in the 2018 Farm Bill. Express your strong support for SNAP and your rejection of new work requirements which do nothing to make the program more efficient, but instead make it harder for people of lesser means to meet the most basic of human needs – food.
WE ARE 2 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE.
VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
BLUE WAVE 2018 BEGINS!!
DO IT – VOTE!!
Ballotpedia is covering four hundred and seventy seats in the U.S. Congress (35 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) up for election this November, we’ve designated a selection of these races as our 2018 battlegrounds.
Battlegrounds are races that we expect to be particularly competitive, interesting, or meaningful to the future balance of power in Congress.
September 1, 2018 – Participate with your local Indivisible group – Indivisible is a progressive movement in United States politics. They have created the Indivisible Guide, a step-by-step guide for individuals, groups, and organizations looking to get Congress to listen to a small, vocal, dedicated group of constituents.
Indivisible Colorado State Legislature
Groups in Boulder County:
Indivisible Front Range (IFRR)
Boulder CAN (Colorado Action Network)!
Indivisible North Boulder – Indivisiblenorthboulder at gmail dot com
Indivisible East Boulder
Indivisible Frasier Elders indivisiblefrasierelders at gmail dot com
Indivisible Northern Colorado
September 2, 2018 – Get online certified to register voters – IT’S IMPORTANT!!! The GOP is pushing Voter Suppression disguised as an election fraud protection!! To be very clear: Voter ID laws target students, the elderly and minorities – traditionally Democratic and Independent strong-holds. In keeping with most studies of voter fraud — which find little to no evidence of its existence — Kansas studies have found just nine cases of alleged fraud out of 1.8 million registered voters.”
September 3, 2018 – The priority of 2018 is for our nation to rise up and say: Enough. MoCs have abdicated their roles as true proxies of the people’s will. They were elected & we can’t control their votes. We can only control OUR votes. In November 2018, the congressional GOP faces the most anticipated political reckoning of our times. Non-trumpian America HAS the numbers, the resistance just needs to mobilize it. We can’t mobilize without you. When we show up, we win, and you simply MUST be involved.
Take a look at the ActLocal Voting Resources Guide to get an idea of what you can be doing today, tomorrow, and all of 2018 to elect progressives. Print out a copy and keep it handy, and tweet/share it. Check out the ActLocal resources page, which addresses topics ranging from how to put on a phonebank to what happened in 2016 to help you get educated and ready to support candidates.
September 4, 2018 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018 – Enjoy a break in the insanity and read the SMALL VICTORIES blog. It’s upbeat & refreshing!!
September 5, 2018 – ELECT WOMEN – Support the Women’s Senate Network!! Eleven Democratic Senate women are facing re-election this year — that’s HALF the women in the Senate. There is virtually ZERO chance of taking back the Senate if any of these Democratic senators lose. Democratic Senate women are fearless fighters for working families and voices against the administration’s destructive agenda. Republican mega-donors like the Koch Brothers have pledged to spend roughly $400 million in 2018 to attack these Senator. Women like Heidi Heitkamp, Tammy Baldwin and Claire McCaskill are already facing an onslaught of GOP super PAC spending. Support them in any way you can!!
September 6, 2018 – If you want to know the details about elected officials accused/convicted of behavior unbecoming of an MoC, check out the Congressional Misconduct Database!!
September 7, 2018 – NEVER AGAIN has happened again – CONGRESS STILL HASN’T ACTED ON GUN CONTROL, TAKE ACTION!! CALL YOUR MoCs!!
If you can: Donate to Defeat House Republicans Who Take NRA Money Keep supporting companies that are taking a stand!! Don’t patronize companies that do NOTHING!! BOYCOTT companies affiliated with the NRA!! Call them, write them, tweet at them – STOP THEM!! #BoycottNRA Also: 90 Various local businesses in Colorado are NRA affiliates! Click HERE to search the list.
September 8, 2018 – SUPPORT COLORADO TEACHERS!! Help Raise Funds for Colorado’s Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November.
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise $1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS. 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If you are willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, follow this link and someone will contact you-http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
September 10, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Sept 10 – Sept 11 and Sept 19
September 11, 2018 – MORE on the importance of state races – Getting involved in state legislative races is the most valuable action we can take this year and in 2018. Here’s why:
- Redistricting. State legislatures often control redistricting. The Republicans have badly gerrymandered the states they control, keeping themselves in power and preventing proportional representation. The only way to reverse this is to win back state legislatures. (See an excellent article HERE).
- One Thousand Seats Lost. Over the past decade, the GOP has invested heavily in state legislative seats, and unfortunately, it has paid off. Republicans now control both chambers in 33 states, and Democrats hold 1,000 fewer state legislative seats than they did in 2008.
- Trifectas. There are 25 Republican trifecta states, where Republicans control both chambers of state government and the governorship. Democrats have only 6 trifecta states. This is why we have been seeing so much awful legislation becoming law on issues of reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, gun control, immigration, and more.
- States are Policy Laboratories. State level policies often serve as templates for national policy, and also for other states to adopt. We need strong Democratic state legislatures to set progressive policies that can be adopted elsewhere.
- Constitutional Convention. If Republicans gain control of one more state legislature, they would be able to call for a Constitutional Convention to amend our federal Constitution.
September 12, 2018 – Colorado has a good chance to flip the statehouse. Volunteer to work in your district or offer to help in a flip district. Colorado Resistance has an excellent reference list and action plan to address these high probability keep or flip state positions:
- Attorney General
- Secretary of State
- State Treasurer
- Senate Districts – 3, 5, 11, 16, 20, 22, 24
- House Districts – 3, 17, 23 & 25
September 13, 2018 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018 – Get ready for CRITICAL 2018 elections!! Check out https://www.ballotready.org/. They provide non-partisan information on people running for election.
September 14, 2018 – Learn about the power held in a small number of prosecutors – WATCH the film “Power of Prosecutors” to support the end of mass incarceration. Learn how to demand accountability. Vote!
September 15, 2018 – Protect the 2018 elections from “Dark Money”! Wealthy individuals and corporations continue to sway elections away from allowing voters to choose on merit and toward corporate influence on policy! You can find out who’s contributing money to candidates, even when they try to hide it. The Center for Responsive Politics, at its website “Open Secrets,” is shining a light on where the money comes from. See “Who are the top Dark Money Donors?” HERE.
Check out: http://endcitizensunited.org – End Citizens United is a Political Action Committee funded by grassroots donors. We are dedicated to countering the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system.
Also, MOVETOAMEND.ORG – focused on helping end Citizens United. We’d like to point out that the Citizens United decision is not the cause, it is a symptom of the systemic problem of the Courts extending constitutional rights under the 1st, 4th, 5th, 14th Amendments to corporations. That is why, Move To Amend, is trying to revert the many other Supreme Court rulings that precede it with House Joint Resolution 48. F
- Find a list of cosponsors of House Joint Resolution 48, along with a description of the bill, HERE.
- Join the national coalition by initiating or joining an affiliate group in your area.
- Learn how to get started by reading our take action toolkit HERE…and read our affiliate process HERE.
- For more information on affiliate groups: https://movetoamend.org/map/groups
September 16, 2018 – Call your MoCs on prison reform!!
Prisoners older than 55 serving time make up the fastest-growing age group behind bars, increasing more than 500% since the 1990s. 1400 women give birth behind bars shackled to their beds. (Yes, we actually do that.) And people don’t go to prison, families do. For the hundreds of thousands of Americans that are locked up in cages in US federal prison reform is not a bipartisan issue. Join Wall of Us, Van Jones’ #Cut50, Keith Ellison, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, and many others to support the FIRST STEP Act which passed out of the House Judiciary Committee on a 25-5 vote a few weeks ago. It would do a LOT of good for a LOT of people sitting in federal prison right now, making it easier for them to stay in touch with their families, trim the sentences of the elderly and thousands with good time credit, ban shackling of pregnant women and strengthen evidence-based recidivism reduction programs.
It’s not all that is needed to fix our broken criminal justice system – it’s not even close – but, we need to find the common ground, get this done, and continue to fight like hell for more.
September 17, 2018 – By 2050 there will be more plastics than fish in the ocean – UNLESS WE CHANGE THE COURSE WE’RE ON. People are rallying around the world in protest of plastic waste that ends up as pollution in rivers, oceans, and soil. The negative impacts of this waste on marine life are well-documented, and human health is likely at risk as well. How can you help protect people, animals, and the planet from the scourge of plastic waste? There’s no one simple answer, but Eco-Cycle will be bringing a slew of solutions your way during our Reduce Your Plastic Use Challenge! Eco-Cycle will help you reduce or eliminate common plastic items from your life and stay motivated with simple tips and hacks to help you break free from plastic!
Take the challenge and learn:
- What happens to plastic after it is used
- The most sustainable alternatives to plastic
- Where and how to shop plastic-free
- Alternatives to products that seem to be only sold in plastic packaging
- How to take your commitment to a low-plastic lifestyle further
- Bold moves communities around the world are taking
- …and more!
September 18, 2018 – MANY groups working to elect state candidates in flippable districts – Check this one out!!
Sister District Project
September 19, 2018 – And for those of us well beyond being a Millennial…AARP has launched “Be the Difference. Vote,” a multifaceted campaign designed to maximize the influence of America’s 50-plus voters in this year’s midterm elections. The campaign seeks to get the largest possible turnout of voters age 50-plus to the polls during the ongoing primaries and in the November general election. It will also put front and center issues like Medicare, Social Security, financial security and caregiving—topics of particular interest to older voters. Check out aarp.org/vote to see how you can get involved and stay informed.
September 20, 2018 – BLUE WAVE 2018 (and 2020) – “If we want to retake the House, the Senate and the Presidency by 2020, we need to take back our states.”
Find out how to fight back to gain control of our state legislature. Colorado is a target flip state for 2018!! State legislators, in conjunction with governors, have awesome power to shape the norms of our democracy. We need to put this power in the hands of trusted progressive leaders. Republican governors and Republican state legislatures use the following tools to influence the outcomes of elections:
- Redistricting – the practice of redrawing the lines of electoral districts, which takes place every 10 years. When district lines are redrawn in ways intended to benefit one political party, we call it gerrymandering (see an excellent article HERE). . Gerrymandering is a corrupt practice that skews election results and removes agency from the voters.
- Voter ID laws – laws that require voters to show photo identification before voting. These laws disproportionately affect minorities and lower-income voters—groups that have historically supported the Democratic party.
- Voter registration laws – discriminatory laws that create obstacles to registration (e.g. requiring voters to provide proof of citizenship). As Republican power at the state level increases, it becomes easier for Republican lawmakers to pass ever stricter voter ID and registration laws, which in turn makes it easier for Republicans to win elections.
September 21, 2018 – I’ve mentioned it many times, but the app STANCE is a great tool. It allows you to call and leave a message for your MOCs 24/7. Find out more general info HERE along with how to download the app to your phone.
September 22, 2018 – Flip the US Congress!! – Stay Up-to-Date at Swing Left – At the federal level, there are 70 Swing Districts. These are places where the last election was won by 15% of the vote or less, where Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump, where a high concentration of Swing Left volunteers make certain districts very winnable, or where other, specific circumstances make it a competitive district. We need to flip at least 24 seats to take back the House in 2018. Let’s get to work: In Colorado, Mike Coffman (R-CO06) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; so with some effort, he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
Flip States BLUE!! – Info on Flippable seats at the state level HERE! Over the last 10 years, Democrats have lost majorities (over 1400 seats) in state houses, governorships and other elected position across the country. The results have been the horrific state laws that restrict a woman’s right to chose, deny LGBTQ people’s rights, limit funding for important social programs, specify gerrymandered election districts, etc. Out of 6,000+ state races this year, Flippable has picked the ones that will flip the most important chambers. Then they get money as efficiently and as early as possible to state candidates, allowing them to invest in great teams who can power them to victory.
September 23, 2018 – Don’t forget about the need for SANE GUN LAWS! The ONLY WAY to fix this is to VOTE!!! Work to vote NRA supported candidates out of EVERY office they hold! Visit these sites listed below for more information.
- Americans for Responsible Solutions Gabrielle Gifford’s organization the addresses urban gun violence
- Every town for Gun safety You can find out about the strength of your state’s gun lows and identity gaps
- Mom’s demand action for gun sense in America Demand action for State and Federal legislators, companies and education institutions to establish common sense gun reforms
- Violence Policy Center Research, Investigation, Analysis and Advocacy for a Safer America
- Center for American Progress for ERPO Colorado tried to pass a Red Flag Law to allow family, friends, colleagues, etc. to contact law enforcement for confiscation of weapons if the person is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. Republicans voted the law down.
September 24, 2018 – MAKE SURE the races for state legislature and governorships are a TOP PRIORITY!! They are every bit as important as those for the higher profile federal offices. The upcoming slate of governors races combines an unusually favorable map for Democrats with a strong chance to influence the once-in-a-decade congressional redistricting process. That process helps determine how many seats each party holds in the House, and Republican success at controlling the process has helped the party achieve dominance in Congress. Washington politicos and grassroots activists alike often overlook governors races, and that’s especially true in the Democratic Party, which is years behind the GOP when it comes to investing in state races. The party is down to just 16 out of 50 governors, the fewest in recent decades. It lost nearly 1,000 state legislative seats during President Barack Obama’s eight years in the White House.
Flippable has a website that highlights the state level fights that are so important. Check it out. In Colorado and other states with high probability Democratic wins, groups are working on state & national candidates – Check them out!!
WE ARE 1 MONTH OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE. THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
ALSO – Towards Right Relationship with Native Peoples Right Relationship Boulder is a group of Native and non-Native residents who are lifting up the history and presence of Native people in the Boulder Valley and working toward a goal of right relationship. Our first effort is to establish ties with the Southern and Northern Arapaho tribes, whose ancestors lived in the Boulder Valley and were essentially banished from Colorado after the Sand Creek Massacre. They now live in Oklahoma and Wyoming. Our 2018 project is “Welcoming the Arapaho People Home.” We have invited delegations from both tribes to come to Boulder. In October, Arapaho dancers, artisans, story-tellers, youth and governance leaders will give public presentations and performances for Indigenous Peoples Day.
Thanks very much for considering joining us in welcoming the Arapaho people home.
If you would like to support this work with Native tribes, donations can be made to Right Relationship Boulder’s fiscal sponsor, Philanthropiece Foundation, 6105 Monarch Road, Longmont CO 80503.
October 1, 2018 – Learn why state legislatures are so important! State legislatures are crucial to the outcome of national elections. The Republican party currently controls 30 of the nation’s 50 state legislatures. In 23 of these states with Republican legislatures (state house & senate), the governor is Republican, too – a trifecta…BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENED IN NOVEMBER 2017!!!
Trifectas give political parties nearly unchecked power at the state level. Republican-engineered gerrymandering and voter suppression are widespread across the country, in large part because of Republican trifectas. Source: Ballotpedia
See an excellent article HERE.
October 2, 2018 – Support the Dignity for Incarcerated Women Act The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population but 30% of the world’s incarcerated women. The Dignity Act was introduced on July 11th by Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Kamala Harris (D-CA), and Richard Durbin (D-IL). The goal of the act is “to improve the treatment of Federal prisoners who are primary caretaker parents.” The Dignity Act includes provisions such as more visitation rights for incarcerated mothers and preventing shackling pregnant women (which we do, even during birth). Prisons will also be required to provide women with feminine products and basic gynecological care (which we don’t currently provide).
The Dignity Act is effectively being ignored, with no hearings or votes scheduled. Alicia Keys is attempting to change that through the We Are Here Movement. All-of-us must raise our voices in support of incarcerated women too. Here’s how:
- Watch this video and join the We Are Here Movement.
- Share the video on Facebook and Twitter.
- Sign this petition calling on Senator Grassley to hold a hearing on the issue of incarcerated women!
October 3, 2018 – DON’T FORGET ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL!! CALL YOUR MOCs (use the Stance app to call 24/7)!! There has been no movement – even with the continuing killing!!! NO ASSAULT WEAPONS, NO BUMP STOCKS, NO HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE, THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS – that is a MINIMUM!!
October 4, 2018 – IF YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT ALEC (the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council), GET INFORMED. Through ALEC, Global Corporations Are Scheming to Rewrite YOUR Rights and Boost THEIR Revenue…Global corporations and state politicians vote behind closed doors to try to rewrite state laws that govern your rights. These so-called “model bills” reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.
ALEC’s Corporate Sponsors Top Nation’s Lawbreaker List!! In ALEC’s own words, corporations have “a VOICE and a VOTE” on specific changes to the law that are then proposed in your state. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VOICE IS HEARD OVER THESE GREEDY ORGANIZATIONS!!
October 5, 2018 – Colorado allows online VOTER REGISTRATION!! If you or anyone you know needs to register, go to www.registerincolorado.org.
October 6, 2018 – Check out this resource for contacting and getting data on your congressional representatives: https://www.contactingcongress.org/
October 7, 2018 – SUPPORT TAMMY STORY. Democrat Tammy Story is trying to unseat ultra-right wing Senator Tim Neville in State Senate District 16 (Golden, Eldorado Springs, Superior & Elsewhere). This is one of the most important races in the state because of its statewide strategic nature. And if you want to join the fight, email Patricia dot Eggleston at gmail dot com. It is not an overstatement to say we are fighting now for the survival of our Democracy and the freedoms we hold dear. Elections are the only way forward. Please get involved, and recruit others to help. You are needed. For real.
October 8, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Oct 8, Columbus Day and Oct 29
October 9, 2018 – 22.1% of 2018 congressional candidates are female…support them!! Gender has been a prevailing theme of national and local media coverage in this year’s elections. Ballotpedia has tracked 2,945 candidates who are seeking or sought election to Congress in 2018. A total of 651 (22.1%) of these candidates are female and 2,294 (77.9%) are male. More facts about congressional gender data (not great numbers, but improving!):
- Approximately 30.5% of Democratic congressional candidates are female
- Only 14.1% of Republican congressional candidates are female.
THIS IS IT!!!
Election Day 2018 is
November 6 – VOTE!!
- First thing – make sure your voter registration is up to date and that you have the correct type of identification. Most communities will let you check your registration online. If you move this year, make sure you update your information – Republican voter suppression efforts are focused on the details of registration and voter ID. Take a screen shot of your online registration. Phone2Action is a new app which makes it easy to do this from your mobile.
- Do your research now on which seats for which offices are open in your community and your state. Decide where you want to spend your time and energy and keep up with who is running for those seats.
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 –
ELECTION DAY!! VOTE!!
November 19, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Nov 19 – Nov 23 State Work Period Thanksgiving – Nov 22
JUST IN CASE: There are active discussions at the White House about firing Mueller and/or Rosenstein. If this happens, hundreds of thousands of people will instantly rally at hundreds of Rapid Response actions organized by Nobody is Above the Law, a coalition of many groups, spearheaded by MoveOn. See below to sign up for one of these events (they are occurring in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, and other CO locations). If you choose to attend an event, you agree to engage in nonviolent, peaceful action, to act lawfully, and to strive to de-escalate any potential confrontations with those who may disagree with these values.
Hosted by Kenneth N. Geof C. Lani C. william C. Ira L. Bruce N. Wendy R. Katherine F. Pearl Street Mall, old Boulder County Courthouse, Boulder, CO 80302
Trump is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. But nobody is above the law. If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. Sign up and be ready to assemble on short notice.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Kathy P. Jaymi D. Michael B. Ira C. Nancy M.
6th and Main, Longmont, CO 80501
Rapid Response! to protest Trump’s firing of special counsel.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Jessica Z. Katherine F.
Colorado State Capitol, Denver, CO 80203
If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. The following are the red lines, which if crossed, could trigger the call for national actions, communicated by national partners to hosts: 1.) Firing Mueller 2.) Pardons of key witnesses 3.) Actions that would prevent the investigation from being conducted freely, such as replacing Mueller’s current supervisor, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, or repealing the regulations establishing the office. In the case of a Mueller firing, please assume the plan has been engaged and events will be triggered nationally. In the event of key pardons, a change in Rosenstein’s relationship to the investigation, or other scenarios, a national coalition will decide as rapidly as possible whether it believes the red line has been crossed sufficient to communicate a national call to action. In such cases, local hosts are encouraged to look for notice of national decisions from MoveOn in SMS and email, but to feel empowered to proceed locally as they see fit.