Remember the feeling of power from participating in the
Denver Women’s March?
HOLD ON TO IT!!
It is necessary to stay in the fight against the administration’s agenda for the LONG HAUL!! Given republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches, resistance must be an on-going activity. This site is provided as a tool for staying engaged related to resisting actions of the administration that do not support a progressive agenda for our nation. A calendar of local ACTIONS with a NATIONAL focus is shown below.
A page for Colorado state-specific issues has its own tab. Other resources can be found through the tabs on this web page.
YOUR VOTE IS YOUR VOICE!!
DON’T STOP RESISTING!! SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!
The Defense of Liberty. “It can happen here. The only thing that will stop it from doing so is a citizenry that understands both the gravity of the threat and the power of an organized, popular resistance. The institutions of democracy are only as strong as our willingness to stand and fight for them. As Learned Hand, a great federal court of appeals judge, once wrote: ‘Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.’ … The ultimate defense of liberty lies in us.”
From David Cole, Rules for Resistance: Advice from Around the Globe for the Age of Trump.
CALL your Members of Congress (MOCs) on the NUMEROUS ISSUES facing the nation! Tell them:
- ALL MOCs MUST support the CURRENT LAW and PROTECT AMERICANS COVERED BY THE ACA!! Vote for subsidies and reverse the birth control limitations.
- RENEW the CHILDHOOD HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM!!! It expired on September 30th due to apathy by the GOP & their diversion to Repeal & Replace…AGAIN!!! CHIP covers over 9 million children who would otherwise have NO INSURANCE!!
- Tell Your MoCs to Stand Up for Childhood Arrivals and Co-Sponsor the DREAM Act All-of-us must tell Congress to take care of our Dreamers.
- Oppose the proposed Budget Resolution. Expected on the House floor this month. MOCs must oppose any resolution that makes cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and doesn’t offset tax cuts with new revenue or closing loopholes. Hold them accountable!! Check out this explainer (think Tax Policy 101!), call scripts, and contact information on TrumpTaxScam.org. Pass a budget that protects important programs and vulnerable citizens AND DOES NOT FUND THE WALL or MORE WAR!!
- Demand tax reform that works for the middle and lower classes…not the billionaire friends of this administration!
- Prevent war with North Korea. Urge your MoC to speak out against warmongering with this explainer.
- CLIMATE CHANGE – Three category 4+ storms already in this hurricane season, MASSIVE wildfires in the west and drought in the mid-west…Demand that the US participate in climate change conferences!! CALL for funding to rebuild in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands…and now the Gulf Coast after Nate!!!
WEEK OF OCTOBER 9
Sunday, October 15, 2017 – Indivisible Boulder October meeting from 3:30-5:30 at the Boulder Library.
Sunday, October 15, 2017 – Participate in Nonviolent Direct Action Training 10/15 in Louisville from 1:00-5:00pm Two local options for nonviolent direct action (NVDA) training are coming up. Organized by Indivisible Front Range Resistance and MoveOn Front Range, each is a 4-hour workshop that will help to generally prepare you for participating in NVDA, should that come to pass in the ongoing Trump Resistance, opposition to fracking, support for municipalization, etc. Participation in NVDA can include actions that risk arrest and support roles for those who are arrested. The trainings will include a brief history of NVDA, nonviolent tactics and actions, de-escalation ideas, affinity groups, role plays, and Protesters’ Rights from an ACLU representative. The organizers, anticipating costs to be small, will ask for a small donation at the training (no one will be turned away for lack of funds). Please register. This is a great opportunity to learn, meet other inspired folks, and make your actions more effective.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 16
Another week of MULTIPLE ISSUES…choose the ones that are important to you and call, fax, tweet, email, etc!!
Monday, October 16, 2017 – CALL Senator GARDNER and DEMAND that he VOTE NO on:
- Sam Clovis, the president’s pick to be chief scientist for the Department of Agriculture!! He is an alt-right non-scientist who pushed Obama birther lies, called then-Attorney General Eric Holder a “racist black” & denies climate change – CNN KFile review of Clovis’s writings and radio broadcasts during 2012 and 2013. HE IS NOT QUALIFIED TO HOLD THE OFFICE OF CHIEF SCIENTIST!!
- Kathleen Hartnett-White for head of the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ). As the Texas CEQ (under Rick Perry!), she amassed a record of supporting polluting industries and shows willful ignorance about well-established climate change science. More info here: www.desmogblog.com/kathleen-hartnett-white. Of the MANY absurd claims she has made here are ONLY 3 recent ones:
“Now the plentiful, reliable and affordable energy source that is coal can be regarded as clean.”
“Renewables are a false hope that simply won’t work.”
“We’re not a democracy if science dictates what are rules are.”
- Financial Choice Act, a bill approved by the House in June that would reverse many Dodd-Frank regulations, including curbing the consumer agency’s oversight powers and allowing the president to fire its director more easily.
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 – Call ALL your MOCs and DEMAND:
- A clean DACA bill
- Disaster Relief Funding – especially for Puerto Rico!!
- Childhood Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Funding
- Subsidies for ACA policy holders!!! MOCs MUST support negotiations, which are being led by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Chairman Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Ranking Member Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA). They are proposing a deal that aligns with the principles of keeping Medicaid cuts off the table, protecting coverage and benefit standards and improving market stability & affordability for consumers.
- A budget / tax reform that helps the middle & lower classes – NOT BILLIONAIRES!! he House passed its version of the Fiscal Year 2018 budget resolution, and the Senate Budget Committee approved its version of the budget resolution, clearing the way for full Senate action on the resolution . Although the two resolutions have some important differences, they have the same basic architecture: They establish a special partisan process (reconciliation) to provide massive tax cuts which will primarily benefit the wealthy and profitable corporations, while calling for trillions of dollars in cuts over the next decade, including cuts to a broad range of basic public services, assistance for low- and moderate-income Americans, and health care. Once the Senate has passed its resolution, House and Senate Republican leaders will quickly create a conference committee to resolve the differences between their two resolutions and agree on one budget resolution that can be used to create the filibuster-proof reconciliation process for the tax package. Democrats will likely not play a role in crafting the final budget conference agreement. One thing to watch when the House and Senate go to the conference committee is whether the final conference agreement will include reconciliation instructions that would require Congress to take immediate steps to cut billions from programs such as SNAP, Medicaid and other low-income entitlement programs.
- Support for the certification of the Iran Nuclear deal
- Support for the JONES-CONYER BILL, a bipartisan bill in house of representatives that protects the INDEPENDENT RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION (MUELLER ETC.) from being fired by the president. Call for independent committee transparency so we can TRUST the process.
Wednesday, October 18, 2017 – The Democratic Women of Boulder Countygive you a primer on the important issues facing our community @ 11:30 am Lunch (payment required) / 12 noon program – The Elks, 3975 28th Street, Boulder, REGISTRATION DEADLINE – Sunday, October 15. Two convenient methods for registration:
Mike Johnston, Candidate for Governor, will open with a brief introduction to his campaign. He will be followed by Secretary of State Candidate Jenna Griswold. Representative Matt Gray will speak about issues related to oil and gas regulation on the local and state level. Finally, we will introduce you to the BVSD School Board Candidates for a 30-minute panel discussion. Please share this event people who would like to know more about our school board candidates!
Wednesday, October 18, 2017 – H.R.1134 – END DARK MONEY in campaigns
Since the Citizens United decision, our elections have been tainted with an influx of dark money, with corporations spending millions of dollars propping up their preferred candidates through super PACs. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse introduced the DISCLOSE Act, along with 32 Democratic co-sponsors. If this bill passes, super PACs would be required to disclose their donors. It’s as simple as that. This legislation is a critical first step to increasing transparency in our elections. Corporations that seek to influence our elections wouldn’t be able to hide their political activity. And companies with foreign ownership would not be allowed to spend money on our elections at all. Not a single Republican senator sponsored this bill. It’s obvious that instead of holding corporations accountable for their campaign spending, Republicans are only looking out for their own political futures.
Thursday, October 19, 2017 – Public Comment Opportunity, Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment on Regulation Number 7 that address EPA’s Oil and Gas Control Techniques Guidelines, 8:30 AM, 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, Sabin Room, Denver Colorado’s Air Quality Control Commission is currently considering whether to strengthen air pollution standards for oil and gas operations – and they’re taking official input from Coloradoans like you. Click here to review the hearing agenda and documents. Stronger protections could significantly improve our air quality and our health, improve the safety of the oil and gas locations, and combat climate change. The public is invited to this hearing to give public comments, and we need a strong showing on our side to get the strengthened standards we deserve statewide. Come join us!
Thursday, October 19, 2017 – Gear up for a month of action with the 350 Boulder County Team to get Boulder to 100% renewable energy and keep fracking out! 7 – 8:30 p.m., The Studio, 3550 Frontier Ave., Suite A2, Boulder, CO. Here is a taste of some of the topics you don’t want to miss!
- Public Power(aka Municipalization): Local elections are coming up and your help is needed to support our City’s 2L campaign toward a 100% renewable municipal electric utility. Still aren’t sure if municipalization is a trick or treat? Not a problem. Join us to ask questions, get the facts, and learn how you can take action. We will have literature, signage, talking points and local experts.
- Stop the Frack Attack! Did you know the COGCC will vote on the first eight drilling and spacing units for Boulder County on October 30th? We are speaking out in protest at the COGCC hearing with a Halloween twist. Learn the top secret details on Thursday.
- Divest the Globe October 23-25: Mazaska Talks is calling on indigenous people and allies everywhere to join us for 3 days of mass global action that make it clear to the banks: Financing climate disaster and the abuse of Indigenous Peoples will result in a massive global divestment movement. Find out how you can take action!
Friday, October 20, 2017 – Sign up for Changing a March into a Movement – The Women’s Convention, to be held in Detroit from Oct. 27-29. It will bring together thousands of the women who organized sister marches across the country on Jan. 21 and have formed 5,000 local groups, or huddles, in 50 states to organize resistance actions over the past several months. The goal of the conference is manifold, including training organizers and prospective candidates for office.
Saturday, October 21, 2017 – Participate in Nonviolent Direct Action Training 10/21 in Boulder from 1:00 – 5:00pm Two local options for nonviolent direct action (NVDA) training are coming up. Organized by Indivisible Front Range Resistance and MoveOn Front Range, each is a 4-hour workshop that will help to generally prepare you for participating in NVDA, should that come to pass in the ongoing Trump Resistance, opposition to fracking, support for municipalization, etc. Participation in NVDA can include actions that risk arrest and support roles for those who are arrested. The trainings will include a brief history of NVDA, nonviolent tactics and actions, de-escalation ideas, affinity groups, role plays, and Protesters’ Rights from an ACLU representative. The organizers, anticipating costs to be small, will ask for a small donation at the training (no one will be turned away for lack of funds). Please register. This is a great opportunity to learn, meet other inspired folks, and make your actions more effective.
Sunday, October 22, 2017 – Divest the Globe October 23-25: Mazaska (Money) Talks. 350 Boulder County and other environment groups are calling on indigenous people and allies everywhere to join us for 3 days of mass global action that make it clear to the banks: Financing climate disaster and the abuse of Indigenous Peoples will result in a massive global divestment movement. Find out how you can take action!
WEEK OF OCTOBER 24, 2017
Monday, October 23, 2017 – END DARK MONEY in campaigns Since the Citizens United decision, our elections have been tainted with an influx of dark money, with corporations spending millions of dollars propping up their preferred candidates through super PACs. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse introduced the DISCLOSE Act, along with 32 Democratic co-sponsors. If this bill passes, super PACs would be required to disclose their donors. It’s as simple as that. This legislation is a critical first step to increasing transparency in our elections. Corporations that seek to influence our elections wouldn’t be able to hide their political activity. And companies with foreign ownership would not be allowed to spend money on our elections at all. Not a single Republican senator sponsored this bill. It’s obvious that instead of holding corporations accountable for their campaign spending, Republicans are only looking out for their own political futures.
Tuesday, October 24, 2017 – Get on-line certified to register voters – IT’S IMPORTANT!!! The administration is pushing Voter Suppression disguised as an election fraud investigation!! –> The administration is setting up an “election integrity commission” to look into voter fraud, something the president maintains, falsely, was rampant during the 2016 election. VP Pence will be the chair and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach will be the vice chair — “two men with very long histories of making it harder to vote. The commission seems designed for one purpose: to perpetuate the myth of fraud in order to lay the groundwork for enacting policies that suppress the vote.” THERE ARE NOW MORE PEOPLE ON THE FRAUD COMMISSION THAN KOBACH HAS EVER CONVICTED OF VOTER FRAUD!!
To be very clear: Voter ID laws target students, the elderly and minorities – traditionally Democratic and Independent strong-holds. Kris Kobach, who will lead the commission with Pence, has been a prominent champion for voting restrictions. “From his perch as Kansas’ top election official, Kobach has launched a crusade against ‘illegal voting,’ winning power from state lawmakers to prosecute ‘voting crime.’ In keeping with most studies of voter fraud — which find little to no evidence of its existence — Kobach has found just nine cases of alleged fraud out of 1.8 million registered Kansas voters.”
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 – Races for state legislature and governorships are the Most Important Elections You Haven’t Heard About. They are every bit as important as those for the higher profile federal offices. The upcoming slate of governors races combines an unusually favorable map for Democrats with a strong chance to influence the once-in-a-decade congressional redistricting process. That process helps determine how many seats each party holds in the House, and Republican success at controlling the process has helped the party achieve dominance in Congress. Washington politicos and grassroots activists alike often overlook governors races, and that’s especially true in the Democratic Party, which is years behind the GOP when it comes to investing in state races. The party is down to just 16 out of 50 governors, the fewest in recent decades. It lost nearly 1,000 state legislative seats during President Barack Obama’s eight years in the White House.
Flippable has a website that highlights the state level fights that are so important. Check it out. In Colorado and other states with high probability Democratic wins, groups are working on state & national candidates – Check them out!!
Thursday, October 26, 2017 – 6:30 pm, Pence in Denver: Protest, Denver Marriott Tech Center, 4900 S. Syracuse St., Denver Vice President Mike Pence will be in Denver for a fundraiser this month. Go to the link to see a mere handful of the reasons why we must come out and peacefully protest his appearance in our state. Thursday’s event will involve handmaids in full dress (as well as supporters holding signs) peacefully standing in silence as attendees arrive for the fundraiser. We will post details in the coming week for where to meet. Partners in this protest include: OneColorado, NARAL Colorado, The Colorado Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, Indivisible Front Range Resistance, Indivisible Denver, Indivisible Colorado District 6, the Environmental Defense Fund, and others.
Friday, October, 27, 2017 – 7 – 8:30 pm, Songs for Peace and Protest, Izaac Walton Clubhouse, 18 Sunset Street, Longmont Join us for an inspiring evening singing historical songs from peace and justice movements, as well as anthems for our current times. This is our fourth gathering, it’s a family friendly event, $0 -10 donation. You don’t have to be a singer, just being surrounded with beautiful sound is enough. All the songs will be led and taught by local musicians and we will have song booklets for you as well.
Friday, October, 27, 2017 – Changing a March into a Movement – The Women’s Convention, to be held in Detroit from Oct. 27-29, will bring together thousands of the women who organized sister marches across the country on Jan. 21 and have formed 5,000 local groups, or huddles, in 50 states to organize resistance actions over the past several months. The goal of the conference is manifold, including training organizers and prospective candidates for office. According to the Women’s March, their strongest local chapters are in Republican-leaning or dominated states, including Ohio, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia, where the need for new Democratic leaders is greatest. Building power is not just about power in the streets. It’s about political power. According to Emily’s List, a major force in Democratic Party recruiting of females, an estimated 16,000 women nationwide have expressed an interest in running for office.
There will be a need-based scholarship fund and crowdsourcing to help bring women of different socio-economic backgrounds to Detroit. We continue to welcome women across the country to look past partisan politics and look into their futures and their children’s futures. We must come together to confront white supremacy and hatred in all our communities and it begins with us.
Saturday, October 28, 2017 – Make sure your DC representative see THIS – the SCIENTIFIC National Climate Assessment Report…Since NCA3, stronger evidence has emerged for continuing, rapid, human-caused warming of the global atmosphere and ocean. This report concludes that “it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.”
Sunday, October 29, 2017 – Sign up to attend events sponsored by Organizing for Action (OFA). Boulder OFA sponsors local events. With more than 250 local chapters around the country, OFA volunteers are building this organization from the ground up, community by community, one conversation at a time—whether that’s on a front porch or on Facebook. We’re committed to finding and training the next generation of great progressive organizers, because at the end of the day, we aren’t the first to fight for progressive change, and we won’t be the last.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 29, 2017
Monday, October 30, 2017 – IF YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT ALEC (the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council), GET INFORMED. Through ALEC, Global Corporations Are Scheming to Rewrite YOUR Rights and Boost THEIR Revenue…Global corporations and state politicians vote behind closed doors to try to rewrite state laws that govern your rights. These so-called “model bills” reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.
In ALEC’s own words, corporations have “a VOICE and a VOTE” on specific changes to the law that are then proposed in your state. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VOICE IS HEARD OVER THIS GREEDY ORGANIZATION!!
Tuesday, October 30, 2017 – Fight back to gain control of state legislatures. Colorado is a target flip state for 2018!! State legislators, in conjunction with governors, have awesome power to shape the norms of our democracy. We need to put this power in the hands of trusted progressive leaders. Republican governors and Republican state legislatures use the following tools to influence the outcomes of elections:
- Redistricting – the practice of redrawing the lines of electoral districts, which takes place every 10 years. When district lines are redrawn in ways intended to benefit one political party, we call it gerrymandering. Gerrymandering is a corrupt practice that skews election results and removes agency from the voters.
- Voter ID laws – laws that require voters to show photo identification before voting. These laws disproportionately affect minorities and lower-income voters—groups that have historically supported the Democratic party.
- Voter registration laws – discriminatory laws that create obstacles to registration (e.g. requiring voters to provide proof of citizenship). As Republican power at the state level increases, it becomes easier for Republican lawmakers to pass ever stricter voter ID and registration laws, which in turn makes it easier for Republicans to win elections.
Monday, October 31, 2017 – CONTINUE TO CALL YOUR REPS ON THIS VOTER FRAUD FRAUD!! As a part of Trump’s ‘Election Integrity’ Commission, Kris Kobach wants access to sensitive voter information including but not limited to: Full names of all registrants, DOBs, social security #’s, political party, voter history. Make no mistake, this is about voter suppression. Send you comments to: ElectionIntegrityStaff@ovp.eop.gov
- Follow the Bennet, Booker Push for Audit of Election Integrity Commission.
- Sign up for the ‘Let People Vote’ Launch Event on October 1, 2017. Info HERE.
Tell anyone you know who needs health insurance to be sure and enroll OVER THE NEXT 6 WEEKS!!
Local Elections are November 7, 2017! VOTE!! Details HERE.
IT IS TRULY IMPORTANT!! Mail ballots will be sent out on October 16th.
The Colorado Democratic Party urges you to Adopt a Local Campaign & MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 – Keep DEMANDING face-to-face meetings with your Congressional representatives!! TOWN HALL PROJECT tracks scheduled in-person & phone-in town halls using team of grassroots researchers as well as additional events organized by Center for American Progress Action Fund & other progressive allies. Check out the schedule & the Indivisible Recess Guide!
|Nov 10||Veterans’ Day (observed)|
|Nov 20 – Nov 24||State Work Period||Thanksgiving Day – Nov 23|
Thursday, November 2, 2017 – Support Doug Jones Doug Jones is the democratic candidate in a special election for the US Senate in Alabama. The election is scheduled to be held on December 12, 2017 to choose Sessions’ successor.
Friday, November 3, 2017 – Check out Strengthening Democracy Colorado SDC is working on legislative action to make democracy WORK. First project is to require tax returns for any candidate who wants to be on the ballot in Colorado. Next, they plan to tackle gerrymandering.
Saturday, November 4, 2017 – Download the Stance app – Calling congress is the most effective way to make your voice heard. Congressional phone lines are often busy. Voicemail is often full. You might spend ages on hold, or keep calling back until overwhelmed congressional staffers clear clogged inboxes. A new app called Stance helps overcome these democracy-hindering headaches. It lets you record messages for your elected representatives, then delivers them at night when phone lines aren’t so busy. Stance sends your message directly to your representative’s phone and twitter handle, and also posts them on takeastance.us for others to be inspired. You can record your message anytime, anywhere.
Sunday, November 5, 2017 – Learn about the power held in a small number of prosecutors – WATCH the film “Power of Prosecutors” to support the end of mass incarceration. Learn how to demand accountability. Vote!
Monday, November 6, 2017 – Stay up-to-date on two VERY IMPORTANT issues – control of Congress and regaining control at the state level. Retaking these governing bodies is CRITICAL because in 2020, there will be another census and a redrawing of congressional districts. Without Democratic control, gerrymandering will continue to make political races difficult, if not impossible, to win!!
Flip the US Congress!! – Stay Up-to-Date at Swing Left
– Recently, both Kansas, Georgia & Montana (VERY red districts) came close to flipping blue.
– In our area, Mike Coffman (R-CO06) won his seat with only 8% of the vote; so with some effort, he can be defeated in 2018! More information on how you can help HERE.
Flip States BLUE!! – Info on Flippable seats at the state level HERE!
– Over the last 10 years, Democrats have lost majorities (over 1400 seats) in state houses, governorships and other elected position across the country. The results have been the horrific state laws that restrict a woman’s right to chose, deny LGBTQ people’s rights, limit funding for important social programs, specify gerrymandered election districts, etc.
– Groups working on state candidates in flippable districts – Check them out!!
Colorado Resistance # Check out the Colorado Resistance Manual HERE.
ColoradoVotes.org Information on local elections that make a BIG difference in the state legislature difference! Here are the 2018 races to watch: Turn these districts BLUE!!
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 – CALL CONGRESS!! on Education Hundreds of volunteers are preparing to lobby on the Hill during November’s Congressional Education Day. To help make those meetings even more productive, you can give Congress a call! Calling on the 8th will give each office time to tally the calls they receive and communicate that to the Congressperson before we arrive to lobby on November 14. A large volume of calls will reveal a large appetite for Carbon Fee and Dividend in their home district or state, which will start the meetings off on the right foot. Sign up for text alerts to get a reminder to call on November 8, and join and share this Facebook event about the call-in day. You can also head to the action page to take a look at a sample script for your call. P.S. There are still some spots left at Congressional Education Day, if you’d like to attend. For the most up-to-date schedule, lodging options and more, visit the registration page.
Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Support Rand Paul and Kamala Harris as they Team Up to Reform Bail Practices
Friday, November 10, 2017 – Support the ACLU The 2017-18 Supreme Court term is already filled with blockbuster cases involving some of the most fundamental constitutional rights and hot-button political issues of our day, from voting rights to Donald Trump’s anti-Muslim immigration measures to the right to privacy in the digital age. The ACLU is counsel in five of the term’s most significant cases:
- The Right to Due Process in Detention: Jennings v. Rodriguez READ MORE
- The Right to Be Free From Religious Intolerance: Trump v. IRAP READ MORE
- The Right to Decide When to Vote: Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute READ MORE
- The Right to Celebrate a Marriage: Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission READ MORE
- The Right to Keep Personal Data Private: Carpenter v. U.S. READ MORE
Saturday, November 11, 2017 – LEARN ABOUT 2017 ELECTIONS – Republicans are defending open state Senate seats in Washington and Florida in November, both in districts Clinton carried. There are a slew of state delegate seats up for grabs in Virginia. Help make sure the GOP gets the boot…Here’s how:
- Study the deets on how to flip these seats, from our friends at Flippable:
- WASHINGTON: This district, just outside of Seattle on the east side of Lake Washington, is especially fraught for the GOP: Republicans have a one-seat majority in the Washington State Senate. Democrats can flip that seat in a special election this fall — and give us control of the entire West Coast. If Democrats recapture the seat, the party will regain control of the state Senate. Go to Flippable to see how you can help in Washington.
- VIRGINIA: Virginia is the first “flippable” state. All 100 seats in the VA House of Delegates will be up for election this November. Go to Flippable to see how you can pitch in.
- FLORIDA: We all know how crucial a role the Sunshine State plays in presidential elections. Both chambers of its state legislature, Florida is still dominated by Republicans. Flipping purple Florida will be a bit more tricky because the GOP domination is largely the result of unfair redistricting that works to their benefit. Gerrymandering has given Florida’s GOP as many as 3 extra seats in Congress, as well as a built-in advantage in all state legislative races. Go to Flippable to see how you can pitch in.
Sunday, November 12, 2017 – Purchase The Resistance Handbook: 45 Ways to Fight Trump Markos Moulitsas, founder of the Daily Kos, the largest progressive online community, has “written the book” on how all-of-us can fight Trump. It’s insightful, funny, and chock full of knowledge, resources, and practical advice on how to build, restore, and supercharge our democracy.
Monday, November 13, 2017 – Learn why state legislatures are so important! State legislatures are crucial to the outcome of national elections. The Republican party currently controls 32 of the nation’s 50 state legislatures. In 25 of these states with Republican legislatures (state house & senate), the governor is Republican, too – a trifecta.
Trifectas give political parties nearly unchecked power at the state level. Republican-engineered gerrymandering and voter suppression are widespread across the country, in large part because of Republican trifectas. Source: Ballotpedia
Tuesday, November 14, 2017 – Join People Power – the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Grassroots Volunteer Resistance Movement – For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. People Power is a grassroots member-mobilization project of the ACLU. Through People Power, the ACLU engages volunteers across the country to take action when the administration attempts to enact unconstitutional policies or trample on people’s constitutional rights. By mobilizing in defense of our civil liberties, volunteers will build local communities that affirm our American values of respect, equality, and solidarity.
Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – Participate with local Indivisible groups – Indivisible is a progressive movement in United States politics. They have created the Indivisible Guide, a step-by-step guide for individuals, groups, and organizations looking to get Congress to listen to a small, vocal, dedicated group of constituents.
Indivisible Colorado State Legislature
Groups in Boulder County:
Indivisible Front Range (IFRR)
Boulder CAN (Colorado Action Network)!
Indivisible North Boulder
Indivisible East Boulder
Indivisible Frasier Elders indivisiblefrasierelders at gmail dot com
Indivisible Northern Colorado
Thursday, November 16, 2017 – REPEAL CITIZENS UNITED – On November 6, 2012, more than 2.4 million Coloradans voted on the referendum calling for a U.S. constitutional amendment to reverse the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision.
In all, 1,762,515 Coloradans voted for reform – a whopping 74% majority! The proposal carried every single county in Colorado, red counties, blue counties, purple counties. In Colorado’s Congressional delegation, the sweeping referendum victory moved the state’s two sitting U.S. Senators, Democrats Michael Bennett and Mark Udall, to vote in favor of bringing a Constitutional amendment on campaign reform to the Senate floor. Rep. Ed Perlmutter, a Democrat representing Denver’s suburbs, co-sponsored a similar measure in the House. But Republican Congressman Doug Lamborn from central Colorado is strongly opposed to constitutional reform. Even after the 74% “yes” vote, five other Colorado representatives hedged where they stand. This OVERWHELMING VOTE in Colorado went no where. PERSIST!! Call your congressional representatives and remind them of this MANDATE FROM THE CITIZENS OF COLORADO!!
Friday, November 17, 2017 – RAISE FUNDSS FOR TAMMY STORY. Democrat Tammy Story is trying to unseat ultra-right wing Senator Tim Neville in State Senate District 16 (Golden, Eldorado Springs, Superior & Elsewhere). This is one of the most important races in the state – and one of only two State Senate races we are focusing on because of its statewide strategic nature. Mark your calendar and tell a few friends. And if you want to join our planning committee, email Patricia dot Eggleston at gmail dot com. It is not an overstatement to say we are fighting now for the survival of our Democracy and the freedoms we hold dear. Elections are the only way forward. Please get involved, and recruit others to help. You are needed. For real.
Saturday, November 18, 2017 – MORE on the importance of state races – Getting involved in state legislative races is the most valuable action we can take this year. Here’s why:
- Redistricting. State legislatures often control redistricting. The Republicans have badly gerrymandered the states they control, keeping themselves in power and preventing proportional representation. The only way to reverse this is to win back state legislatures.
- One Thousand Seats Lost. Over the past decade, the GOP has invested heavily in state legislative seats, and unfortunately, it has paid off. Republicans now control both chambers in 33 states, and Democrats hold 1,000 fewer state legislative seats than they did in 2008.
- Trifectas. There are 25 Republican trifecta states, where Republicans control both chambers of state government and the governorship. Democrats have only 6 trifecta states. This is why we have been seeing so much awful legislation becoming law on issues of reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, gun control, immigration, and more.
- States are Policy Laboratories. State level policies often serve as templates for national policy, and also for other states to adopt. We need strong Democratic state legislatures to set progressive policies that can be adopted elsewhere.
- Constitutional Convention. If Republicans gain control of one more state legislature, they would be able to call for a Constitutional Convention to amend our federal Constitution.
December 1, 2017 – Keep DEMANDING face-to-face meetings with your Congressional representatives!! TOWN HALL PROJECT tracks scheduled in-person and phone-in town halls using team of grassroots researchers as well as additional events organized by Center for American Progress Action Fund and other progressive allies. Check out the schedule and the Indivisible Recess Guide!
|Dec 18 – Dec 29||State Work Period||Holiday schedule|
January 1, 2018 – PLAN AHEAD and plan next summer’s vacation to include supporting candidates in swing states – go to your 2018 calendar, find a week in September or October that you can spend canvassing in a swing district. Make your plans. Make a difference!
January 2, 2018 – Check out this resource for contacting and getting data on your congressional representatives: https://www.contactingcongress.org/
January 3, 2018 – Check out https://www.ballotready.org/. They provide non-partisan information on people running for election.