Remember the feeling of power
from participating in the
Denver Women’s Marches, March for Life (reproductive rights), March for Science, March for Education, March for Taxes, March for Our Lives (guns), March for Keeping Families Together?
DO IT ALL AGAIN…
POWER TO THE POLLS!!!
Renew you commitment to the fight against the administration’s agenda for the LONG HAUL!! Given republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches, resistance must be an on-going activity. We are entering one of the most critical years in our nation’s history – INSIST, RESIST, PERSIST…and remember: Preserve Yourself to Preserve The Country…this is a marathon, not a sprint. The election process in 2018 will determine the fate of our country for years to come. Participate where you can, encourage your family/friends/colleagues to participate AND ALWAYS VOTE!!
This site is provided as a tool for staying engaged related to resisting actions of the administration that do not support a progressive agenda for our nation. A calendar of local ACTIONS with a NATIONAL focus is shown below.
DON’T STOP RESISTING!!
SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT – 2018!!
- POWER TO THE POLLS – VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
- Stay informed about all the sleazy stuff that is going on while 45 is distracting us with his insanity.
- For something more upbeat: SMALL VICTORIES
WE ARE 2 MONTHS OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE.
VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
BLUE WAVE 2018 BEGINS!!
DO IT – VOTE!!
WEEK of SEPTEMBER 17
Wednesday, September 19, 2018 – And for those of us well beyond being a Millennial…AARP has launched “Be the Difference. Vote,” a multifaceted campaign designed to maximize the influence of America’s 50-plus voters in this year’s midterm elections. The campaign seeks to get the largest possible turnout of voters age 50-plus to the polls during the ongoing primaries and in the November general election. It will also put front and center issues like Medicare, Social Security, financial security and caregiving—topics of particular interest to older voters. Check out aarp.org/vote to see how you can get involved and stay informed.
Thursday, September 20, 2018 – BLUE WAVE 2018 (and 2020) – “If we want to retake the House, the Senate and the Presidency by 2020, we need to take back our states.”
Find out how to fight back to gain control of our state legislature. Colorado is a target flip state for 2018!! State legislators, in conjunction with governors, have awesome power to shape the norms of our democracy. We need to put this power in the hands of trusted progressive leaders. Republican governors and Republican state legislatures use the following tools to influence the outcomes of elections:
- Redistricting – the practice of redrawing the lines of electoral districts, which takes place every 10 years. When district lines are redrawn in ways intended to benefit one political party, we call it gerrymandering (see an excellent article HERE). . Gerrymandering is a corrupt practice that skews election results and removes agency from the voters.
- Voter ID laws – laws that require voters to show photo identification before voting. These laws disproportionately affect minorities and lower-income voters—groups that have historically supported the Democratic party.
- Voter registration laws – discriminatory laws that create obstacles to registration (e.g. requiring voters to provide proof of citizenship). As Republican power at the state level increases, it becomes easier for Republican lawmakers to pass ever stricter voter ID and registration laws, which in turn makes it easier for Republicans to win elections.
Friday, September 21, 2018 – Ready? Let’s speak up together this week. Open the Americans of Conscience Checklist.
Saturday, September 22, 2018 – Flip the US Congress!! – Stay Up-to-Date at Swing Left – At the federal level, there are 70 Swing Districts. These are places where the last election was won by 15% of the vote or less, where Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump, where a high concentration of Swing Left volunteers make certain districts very winnable, or where other, specific circumstances make it a competitive district. We need to flip at least 24 seats to take back the House in 2018. Let’s get to work: In Colorado, Mike Coffman (R-CO06) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; so with some effort, he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
Flip States BLUE!! – Info on Flippable seats at the state level HERE! Over the last 10 years, Democrats have lost majorities (over 1400 seats) in state houses, governorships and other elected position across the country. The results have been the horrific state laws that restrict a woman’s right to chose, deny LGBTQ people’s rights, limit funding for important social programs, specify gerrymandered election districts, etc. Out of 6,000+ state races this year, Flippable has picked the ones that will flip the most important chambers. Then they get money as efficiently and as early as possible to state candidates, allowing them to invest in great teams who can power them to victory.
Sunday, September 23, 2018 – Don’t forget about the need for SANE GUN LAWS! The ONLY WAY to fix this is to VOTE!!! Work to vote NRA supported candidates out of EVERY office they hold! Visit these sites listed below for more information.
- Americans for Responsible Solutions Gabrielle Gifford’s organization the addresses urban gun violence
- Every town for Gun safety You can find out about the strength of your state’s gun lows and identity gaps
- Mom’s demand action for gun sense in America Demand action for State and Federal legislators, companies and education institutions to establish common sense gun reforms
- Violence Policy Center Research, Investigation, Analysis and Advocacy for a Safer America
- Center for American Progress for ERPO Colorado tried to pass a Red Flag Law to allow family, friends, colleagues, etc. to contact law enforcement for confiscation of weapons if the person is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. Republicans voted the law down.
WEEK of SEPTEMBER 24
Monday, September 24, 2018 – MAKE SURE the races for state legislature and governorships are a TOP PRIORITY!! They are every bit as important as those for the higher profile federal offices. The upcoming slate of governors races combines an unusually favorable map for Democrats with a strong chance to influence the once-in-a-decade congressional redistricting process. That process helps determine how many seats each party holds in the House, and Republican success at controlling the process has helped the party achieve dominance in Congress. Washington politicos and grassroots activists alike often overlook governors races, and that’s especially true in the Democratic Party, which is years behind the GOP when it comes to investing in state races. The party is down to just 16 out of 50 governors, the fewest in recent decades. It lost nearly 1,000 state legislative seats during President Barack Obama’s eight years in the White House.
Flippable has a website that highlights the state level fights that are so important. Check it out. In Colorado and other states with high probability Democratic wins, groups are working on state & national candidates – Check them out!!
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 – NATIONAL VOTER REGISTRATION DAY!! Be sure that you are registered and get everyone around you to register. It is CRITICAL to use the November election to make our voices heard!!! For more information: https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/
Check out the Environmental Voter Project The Environmental Voter Project aims to significantly increase voter demand for progressive environmental policy by identifying inactive environmentalists and then turning them into consistent activists and voters.
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 – Join Indivisible Boulder and Environmental Voter Project for our last text banking before the November election from 5:30-7:30pm. We will start with a brief training, then get right down to texting! Space is limited, so please RSVP HERE.
EVP will also have several upcoming opportunities to do door to door canvassing for GOTV in October.
Thursday, September 27, 2018 – MANY Colorado groups are working to elect state candidates in flippable districts – Check these out!!
Colorado Resistance # Check out the Colorado Resistance Manual HERE. An Indivisible Guide for Colorado, by Coloradans – How to win state and local elections & resist Republican gerrymandering in Colorado
Friday, September 28, 2018 – The passage of the TAX BILL is a clear lesson in the limits of trying to persuade Republicans to vote humanely on major issues. But the elections in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama are an even clearer lesson that we can organize to win back electoral power even in places that were unthinkable. The most important lesson of 2017 is that when we are organized we win elections. We all need to be making plans for doing our part to Take Back Congress. These recent elections prove that there is energy and hope at the state and local levels. Here’s what we need to do:
- Support passionate, sane candidates at every level of government. Our top priority is to win back Congress but we also need to win back state legislatures and governorships in order to control the Congressional redistricting that will follow the 2020 Census. It is important to contest every elected office, and not just in swing districts. We are working for the long run – towards a nationwide political realignment.
- Encourage others – talented friends, colleagues, neighbors, relatives, yourself? . – to become involved in local politics: to serve on local advisory boards; volunteer to help local campaigns; or run for school board, city councils, special districts etc. Local government is powerful and it is the farm team for national politics.
- Support non-traditional candidates – people of color, naturalized citizens, women, LGBTQ folks, young adults and those with disabilities. We need our candidates to reflect everyone in our communities.
- Work in multi-racial, multi-ethnic coalitions to register all eligible voters, fight voter suppression & get out the vote on Election Day. The field work in Alabama showed us what can happen when this kind of “boots on the ground” work is done by groups that reflect the demographics of marginalized populations.
- Register voters, fight Republican voter suppression & Get Out the Vote. This is the nitty gritty work & it requires setting aside time to volunteer, campaign & win.
Saturday, September 29, 2018 – Do everything you can to support those organizing the March for Black Women.
Sunday, September 30, 2018 – Call your MoCs on prison reform!! Prisoners older than 55 serving time make up the fastest-growing age group behind bars, increasing more than 500% since the 1990s. 1400 women give birth behind bars shackled to their beds. (Yes, we actually do that.) And people don’t go to prison, families do. For the hundreds of thousands of Americans that are locked up in cages in US federal prison reform is not a bipartisan issue. Join Wall of Us, Van Jones’ #Cut50, Keith Ellison, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, and many others to support the FIRST STEP Act which passed out of the House Judiciary Committee on a 25-5 vote a few weeks ago. It would do a LOT of good for a LOT of people sitting in federal prison right now, making it easier for them to stay in touch with their families, trim the sentences of the elderly and thousands with good time credit, ban shackling of pregnant women and strengthen evidence-based recidivism reduction programs.
It’s not all that is needed to fix our broken criminal justice system – it’s not even close – but, we need to find the common ground, get this done, and continue to fight like hell for more.
WE ARE 1 MONTH OUT FROM THE MID-TERM ELECTIONS IN NOVEMBER. KNOW THE CANDIDATES. SUPPORT YOUR CHOICES. COMMIT TO VOTE. THEN DO IT – VOTE!!
ALSO – Towards Right Relationship with Native Peoples Right Relationship Boulder is a group of Native and non-Native residents who are lifting up the history and presence of Native people in the Boulder Valley and working toward a goal of right relationship. Our first effort is to establish ties with the Southern and Northern Arapaho tribes, whose ancestors lived in the Boulder Valley and were essentially banished from Colorado after the Sand Creek Massacre. They now live in Oklahoma and Wyoming. Our 2018 project is “Welcoming the Arapaho People Home.” We have invited delegations from both tribes to come to Boulder. In October, Arapaho dancers, artisans, story-tellers, youth and governance leaders will give public presentations and performances for Indigenous Peoples Day.
Thanks very much for considering joining us in welcoming the Arapaho people home.
If you would like to support this work with Native tribes, donations can be made to Right Relationship Boulder’s fiscal sponsor, Philanthropiece Foundation, 6105 Monarch Road, Longmont CO 80503.
Monday, October 1, 2018 – Learn why state legislatures are so important! State legislatures are crucial to the outcome of national elections. The Republican party currently controls 30 of the nation’s 50 state legislatures. In 23 of these states with Republican legislatures (state house & senate), the governor is Republican, too – a trifecta.
Trifectas give political parties nearly unchecked power at the state level. Republican-engineered gerrymandering and voter suppression are widespread across the country, in large part because of Republican trifectas. Source: Ballotpedia
See an excellent article HERE.
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 – Support the Dignity for Incarcerated Women Act The United States has less than 5% of the world’s population but 30% of the world’s incarcerated women. The Dignity Act was introduced on July 11th by Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Kamala Harris (D-CA), and Richard Durbin (D-IL). The goal of the act is “to improve the treatment of Federal prisoners who are primary caretaker parents.” The Dignity Act includes provisions such as more visitation rights for incarcerated mothers and preventing shackling pregnant women (which we do, even during birth). Prisons will also be required to provide women with feminine products and basic gynecological care (which we don’t currently provide).
The Dignity Act is effectively being ignored, with no hearings or votes scheduled. Alicia Keys is attempting to change that through the We Are Here Movement. All-of-us must raise our voices in support of incarcerated women too. Here’s how:
- Watch this video and join the We Are Here Movement.
- Share the video on Facebook and Twitter.
- Sign this petition calling on Senator Grassley to hold a hearing on the issue of incarcerated women!
Wednesday, October 3, 2018 – Don’t get angry and upset at all the insanity coming down from the top & the GOP – support candidates to replace this toxic administration and VOTE!! If YOU or ANYONE you know is not registered to vote, Colorado allows online registration! Click HERE!
Thursday, October 4, 2018 – IF YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT ALEC (the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council), GET INFORMED. Through ALEC, Global Corporations Are Scheming to Rewrite YOUR Rights and Boost THEIR Revenue…Global corporations and state politicians vote behind closed doors to try to rewrite state laws that govern your rights. These so-called “model bills” reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.
ALEC’s Corporate Sponsors Top Nation’s Lawbreaker List!! In ALEC’s own words, corporations have “a VOICE and a VOTE” on specific changes to the law that are then proposed in your state. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VOICE IS HEARD OVER THESE GREEDY ORGANIZATIONS!!
Friday, October 5, 2018 – Colorado allows online VOTER REGISTRATION!! If you or anyone you know needs to register, go to www.registerincolorado.org.
Saturday, October 6, 2018 – Check out this resource for contacting and getting data on your congressional representatives: https://www.contactingcongress.org/
Sunday, October 7, 2018 – SUPPORT TAMMY STORY. Democrat Tammy Story is trying to unseat ultra-right wing Senator Tim Neville in State Senate District 16 (Golden, Eldorado Springs, Superior & Elsewhere). This is one of the most important races in the state because of its statewide strategic nature. And if you want to join the fight, email Patricia dot Eggleston at gmail dot com. It is not an overstatement to say we are fighting now for the survival of our Democracy and the freedoms we hold dear. Elections are the only way forward. Please get involved, and recruit others to help. You are needed. For real.
Monday, October 8, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Oct 8, Columbus Day and Oct 29
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 – 22.1% of 2018 congressional candidates are female…support them!! Gender has been a prevailing theme of national and local media coverage in this year’s elections. Ballotpedia has tracked 2,945 candidates who are seeking or sought election to Congress in 2018. A total of 651 (22.1%) of these candidates are female and 2,294 (77.9%) are male. More facts about congressional gender data (not great numbers, but improving!):
- Approximately 30.5% of Democratic congressional candidates are female
- Only 14.1% of Republican congressional candidates are female.
Wednesday, October 10, 2018 – In Colorado’s District 6, Mike Coffman (R) won his seat by only 8% of the vote; he can be defeated in 2018! Jason Crow is the Democratic challenger!! More information on how you can help HERE.
Grass Roots St. Vrain is hosting a community conversations on Amendment 73, a ballot measure that would raise $1.6 billion for K-12 education by raising state income taxes for residents who earn more than $150,000 a year. The money collected would go toward implementing full-day kindergarten and increasing public school funding.
When/Where: 7 p.m. Oct. 10, Longmont Public Library, 409 Fourth Ave.
More info: grassrootsstvrain.org
Thursday, October 11, 2018 – THE BLUE WAVE IS COMING!! HERE ARE GREAT IDEAS ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- A great resource for learning about these districts and potential candidates in those districts is the Colorado Resistance Guide.
- BoulderCAN is helping to educate individuals in how to throw a successful house party, as well as some of their members independently hosting parties for individual candidates.
- Hey Boulder! is doing an excellent job getting folks to send postcards.
- The national Women’s March and national YWCA announced yesterday of their partnership. Boulder’s YWCA is working on efforts to eliminate racism locally.
- BoCo Dems and MoveOn Front Range – check here for positions on their Volunteer page.
- Senator Fenberg’s newsletter keep current on areas needing our attention in 2018. From CO state bills coming to the floor and going into committee, to bills Senator Neville has introduced (SD 16’s current senator who is dangerous with his bills), Senator Fenberg’s message is clear…Be engaged and help get people registered to vote.
- Colorado Votes is doing just that. They are hands down showing folks how to get others registered better than anyone else. Reach out to them if you are passionate about getting everyone who is eligible to vote, registered.
NOW IS THE TIME – MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD & VOTE!!
Friday, October 12, 2018 – DON’T FORGET ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL!! CALL YOUR MOCs (use the Stance app to call 24/7)!! There has been no movement – even with the continuing killing!!! NO ASSAULT WEAPONS, NO BUMP STOCKS, NO HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE, THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS – that is a MINIMUM!!
Saturday, October 13, 2018 – MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN COLORADO!!
Sunday, October 14, 2018 – Funding the campaigns that REALLY matter – here is an innovative idea: Round Up Your Spare Change to Make Real Change – sponsored by Flippable
Monday, October 15, 2018 – Volunteer with ACLU Voter – help mobilize voters in huge numbers by contacting millions of people by text messages and phone calls. Join one of the teams working hard to mobilize ACLU voters and take back our democracy by visiting our People Power site. Calling and texting is easy, effective and even fun. The ACLU has the very best calling and texting tools and resources to support you every step of the way. Your help is crucial in making this happen. Join a special calling or texting team and leave your mark on this election.
Tuesday, October 16, 2018 – Join with national groups that do voter mobilization in your community. The organizations below can help you find local affiliates. Give them your time and/or money:
- Indivisible – They have expanded beyond support for contacting legislators to helping local affiliates get involved in elections. Indivisible played a role in helping turn the tide in Virginia, New Jersey and Alabama.
- Swing Left – Their app and web site will identify the congressional district nearest to you that is held by a vulnerable Republican.
- Flippable – Their app and web site gives Swing Left type info for state legislatures
- Vote Riders – helps folks get to the polls on Election Day
- Let America Vote – fights voter suppression efforts in states
- NAACP Civic Engagement Initiative – identifies and supports community organizations working to register voters and get out the vote in African American communities.
- VotoLatino and UnidosUS – Voto Latino is focused on engaging young Latino voters and NCLR targets the broader Latino community’s engagement with elections
Wednesday, October 17, 2018 – NOTHING is more critical than getting out the vote in November!! Get online certified to register voters – IT’S IMPORTANT!!! The GOP is pushing Voter Suppression disguised as election fraud protection!! To be very clear: Voter ID laws target students, the elderly and minorities – traditionally Democratic and Independent strong-holds. In keeping with most studies of voter fraud — which find little to no evidence of its existence — Kansas studies have found just nine cases of alleged fraud out of 1.8 million registered voters.”
The Veteran Experience In Boulder County, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. – local veterans and leaders of veteran programs speak about their experiences and how they are helped by the Veterans Fund at the Community Foundation of Boulder County. Panel followed by Q & A. Community Foundation Boulder County,1123 Spruce Street, Boulder. RSVP to Caroline Landry or call (303) 442-0436 x123, with questions.
Thursday, October 18, 2018 – If you believe that diversity is our greatest strength, that respect, truth, and compassion matter and that we are called to love our neighbor –You are an American of conscience. Check out Americans of Conscience HERE! and subscribe to their weekly ACTIONS CHECKLIST!
Friday, October 19, 2018 – Studies shows that the most effective way to get people to vote is by having conversations with them in the four days before Election Day (Saturday, November 3rd–Tuesday, November 6th). Each of us has the power to make a big difference in a key race by talking to voters. Don’t just vote this year—volunteer! Be there when it matters! THE LAST WEEKEND!!
Saturday, October 20, 2018 – Ballotpedia is covering four hundred and seventy seats in the U.S. Congress (35 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) up for election this November, we’ve designated a selection of these races as 2018 battlegrounds.
Battlegrounds are races that we expect to be particularly competitive, interesting, or meaningful to the future balance of power in Congress.
Sunday, October 21, 2018 – ELECT WOMEN – Support the Women’s Senate Network!! Eleven Democratic Senate women are facing re-election this year — that’s HALF the women in the Senate. There is virtually ZERO chance of taking back the Senate if any of these Democratic senators lose. Democratic Senate women are fearless fighters for working families and voices against the administration’s destructive agenda. Republican mega-donors like the Koch Brothers have pledged to spend roughly $400 million in 2018 to attack these Senator. Women like Heidi Heitkamp, Tammy Baldwin and Claire McCaskill are already facing an onslaught of GOP super PAC spending. Support them in any way you can!!
Monday, October 22, 2018 – MORE on the importance of state races – Getting involved in state legislative races is one of the most valuable action we can take this year and in 2020. Here’s why:
- Redistricting. State legislatures often control redistricting. The Republicans have badly gerrymandered the states they control, keeping themselves in power and preventing proportional representation. The only way to reverse this is to win back state legislatures. (See an excellent article HERE).
- One Thousand Seats Lost. Over the past decade, the GOP has invested heavily in state legislative seats, and unfortunately, it has paid off. Republicans now control both chambers in 33 states, and Democrats hold 1,000 fewer state legislative seats than they did in 2008.
- Trifectas. There are 25 Republican trifecta states, where Republicans control both chambers of state government and the governorship. Democrats have only 6 trifecta states. This is why we have been seeing awful legislation becoming law on issues of reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, gun control, immigration and more.
- States are Policy Laboratories. State level policies often serve as templates for national policy, and also for other states to adopt. We need strong Democratic state legislatures to set progressive policies that can be adopted elsewhere.
- Constitutional Convention. If Republicans gain control of one more state legislature, they would be able to call for a Constitutional Convention to amend our federal Constitution.
Tuesday, October 23, 2018 – Colorado has a good chance to flip the statehouse. Volunteer to work in your district or offer to help in a flip district. Colorado Resistance has an excellent reference list and action plan to address these high probability keep or flip state positions:
- Governor – Jared Polis
- Attorney General – Phil Weiser
- Secretary of State – Jena Griswold
- State Treasurer – Dave Young
- Senate Districts
|CO Senate 6th||Guinn Unger|
|CO Senate 16th||Tammy Story|
|CO Senate 22nd||Brittany Peterson|
|CO Senate 13th||Phil Kelley|
|CO Senate 15th||Rebecca Cranston|
|CO Senate 24th||Faith Winter|
|CO Senate 30th||Julia Varnell-Sarjeant|
|CO Senate 5th||Kerry Donovan|
- House Districts
|CO House 17th||Tony Exum|
|CO House 18th||Marc Snyder|
|CO House 25th||Lisa Cutter|
|CO House 27th||Brianna Titone|
|CO House 30th||Dafna Jenet|
|CO House 34th||Kyle Mullica|
|CO House 37th||Tom Sullivan|
|CO House 38th||Chris Kolker|
|CO House 43rd||Barrett Rothe|
|CO House 47th||Bri Buentello|
|CO House 50th||Rochelle Galindo|
|CO House 51st||Joan Shaffer|
Wednesday, October 24, 2018 – By 2050 there will be more plastics than fish in the ocean – UNLESS WE CHANGE THE COURSE WE’RE ON. People are rallying around the world in protest of plastic waste that ends up as pollution in rivers, oceans, and soil. The negative impacts of this waste on marine life are well-documented, and human health is likely at risk as well. How can you help protect people, animals, and the planet from the scourge of plastic waste? There’s no one simple answer, but Eco-Cycle will be bringing a slew of solutions your way during our Reduce Your Plastic Use Challenge! Eco-Cycle will help you reduce or eliminate common plastic items from your life and stay motivated with simple tips and hacks to help you break free from plastic!
Take the challenge and learn:
- What happens to plastic after it is used
- The most sustainable alternatives to plastic
- Where and how to shop plastic-free
- Alternatives to products that seem to be only sold in plastic packaging
- How to take your commitment to a low-plastic lifestyle further
- Bold moves communities around the world are taking
- …and more!
Thursday, October 25, 2018 – Get ready for CRITICAL 2018 elections!! Check out https://www.ballotready.org/. They provide non-partisan information on people running for election.
Friday, October 26, 2018 – SUPPORT COLORADO TEACHERS!! Help Raise Funds for Colorado’s Public Schools by voting for Initiative 93 on the ballot in November.
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise $1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS. 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure.
Saturday, October 27, 2018 – Support Colorado women running for U.S. Congress and Statewide Elected Executive positions:
Lt. Governor, Dianne Primavera (D)
Secretary of State, Jena Griswold (D)
U.S. Representative, District 01, Diana L. DeGette (D)
U.S. Representative, District 03, Diane E. Mitsch Bush (D)
U.S. Representative, District 04, Karen A. McCormick (D)
U.S. Representative, District 01, Stephany Rose Spaulding (D)
Sunday, October 28, 2018 – Elect Women to the Colorado Senate
- Debra Gustafson, District 01
- Beth Harz, District 02
- Rebecca Cranston, District 15
- Tammy Story, District 16
- Includes south Boulder County & east to Superior
- Will unseat Tim Neville – a FAR RIGHT anti-woman, gun loving bigot
- Jessie Danielson, District 20
- Brittany Pettersen, District 22
- Faith Winter, District 24
- Julia Varnell-Sarjeant, District 30
- Julie Gonzales, District 34
Monday, October 29, 2018 – LAST WEEKEND is coming!! Study after study shows that the most effective way to get people to vote is by having conversations with them in the four days before Election Day (Saturday, November 3rd–Tuesday, November 6th). SIGN UP TO PARTICIPATE HERE!!
Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – Here are all the groups working to create a blue wave. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP??
Wednesday, October 31, 2018 – I’ve published this before, but it is SO IMPORTANT as we approach the election which will be a turning point for the country!!
Do Not Lose Heart, We Were Made for These Times, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
“It is hard to say which one of the current egregious matters has rocked people’s worlds and beliefs more. Ours is a time of almost daily jaw-dropping astonishment and often righteous rage over the latest degradations of what matters most to civilized, visionary people…
…You are right in your assessments. The lustre and hubris some have aspired to while endorsing acts so heinous against children, elders, everyday people, the poor, the unguarded, the helpless, is breathtaking. Yet … I urge you, ask you, gentle you, to please not spend your spirit dry by bewailing these difficult times. Especially do not lose hope. Most particularly because, the fact is – we were made for these times.
Yes. For years, we have been learning, practicing, been in training for and just waiting to meet on this exact plain of engagement. I cannot tell you often enough that we are definitely the leaders we have been waiting for, and that we have been raised, since childhood, for this time precisely.
…In any dark time, there is a tendency to veer toward fainting over how much is wrong or unmended in the world. Do not focus on that. Do not make yourself ill with overwhelm. There is a tendency too to fall into being weakened by perseverating on what is outside your reach, by what cannot yet be. Do not focus there. That is spending the wind without raising the sails.
We are needed, that is all we can know.”
THIS IS IT!!!
Election Day 2018 is
November 6 – VOTE!!
- First thing – make sure your voter registration is up to date and that you have the correct type of identification. Most communities will let you check your registration online. If you move this year, make sure you update your information – Republican voter suppression efforts are focused on the details of registration and voter ID. Take a screen shot of your online registration. Phone2Action is a new app which makes it easy to do this from your mobile.
- Do your research now on which seats for which offices are open in your community and your state. Decide where you want to spend your time and energy and keep up with who is running for those seats.
- LAST WEEKEND – VOLUNTEER TO GET OUT THE VOTE!!
Thursday, November 1, 2018 – SUPPORT WOMEN RUNNING FOR OFFICE!! Here are the dets:
- Emerge America has reported an 87% increase in interest from women candidates.
- Emily’s List reported in April that 16,000 women have expressed interest in running for office, compared to 920 during the entire 2016 election cycle.
- She Should Run reported that 15,000 women are running for office in 2018, a massive increase since 2016
- Run for Something recruits and supports talented, passionate young people who will advocate for progressive values now and for the next 30 years, with the ultimate goal of building a progressive bench.
- Mina’s List seeks to realize women’s equal and substantive representation in national governments around the world. Research shows that more women in government leads to increased protection of women’s rights and higher standards of living for all people. Mina’s List provides educational tools and resources.
You can count on the number of women candidates running for office at the local, state, and federal level to rise. Want to get fired up about the women power that has been generated? Here’s how: Watch the first episode of She’s the Ticket. (9 minutes, 5 inspiring women).
Friday, November 2, 2018 – LAST WEEKEND is here!! Study after study shows that the most effective way to get people to vote is by having conversations with them in the four days before Election Day (Saturday, November 3rd–Tuesday, November 6th). SIGN UP TO PARTICIPATE HERE!!
Saturday, November 3, 2018 – In 2020, Millennials will be a larger voting block than Baby Boomers!! They are already making their voices heard for the 2018 elections. Make sure that any young people you know understand how important it is for them to make their voices heard by VOTING!! Support them – we need them to speak out about their future (and ours)!!
In Colorado: www.neweracolorado.org – New Era Colorado is an innovative organization focused on hands-on democracy that engages, educates and trains a new generation of active citizens and young leaders in Colorado.
Nationally: https://nextgenamerica.org/ – Since 2013, working to prevent damage to our climate by transitioning to a clean energy economy based on equality, inclusion, and a shared and sustainable prosperity. Now, the values that drive our work on climate are under increased and unprecedented attack. We’re proud to step up the fight for immigrant rights, affordable health care, and core American values — as NextGen America.
Nationally: www.Votergy.org – a non-profit focused on strengthening American democracy by getting young voters of all backgrounds to the polls.
Sunday, November 4, 2018 – Support the Colorado House Majority Project – Give Colorado a BLUE trifecta!
Monday, November 5, 2018 – SUPPORT COLORADO TEACHERS!! Help Raise Funds for Colorado’s Public Schools by voting for Initiative 93 on the ballot in November.
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise $1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS. 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure.
Tuesday, November 6, 2018 –
ELECTION DAY!! VOTE!!
November 10, 2018 –
November 11, 2018 – Check out: http://endcitizensunited.org – End Citizens United is a Political Action Committee funded by grassroots donors. We are dedicated to countering the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system.
Also, MOVETOAMEND.ORG – focused on helping end Citizens United. We’d like to point out that the Citizens United decision is not the cause, it is a symptom of the systemic problem of the Courts extending constitutional rights under the 1st, 4th, 5th, 14th Amendments to corporations. That is why, Move To Amend, is trying to revert the many other Supreme Court rulings that precede it with House Joint Resolution 48.
- Find a list of cosponsors of House Joint Resolution 48, along with a description of the bill, HERE.
- Join the national coalition by initiating or joining an affiliate group in your area.
- Learn how to get started by reading our take action toolkit HERE…and read our affiliate process HERE.
- For more information on affiliate groups: https://movetoamend.org/map/groups
Friday, November 16, 2018 – Cities, Ecosystems & Climate Change, Facing Threats, Growing Opportunities. A summit presented by the City of Boulder and the CU Sustainability, Energy and Environment Center (4001 Discovery Drive, Boulder, CO 80303). Join a gathering of local citizens, scientists, public officials and non-profits to explore emerging ecosystem threats and how we can coordinate efforts to respond most effectively. If interested, contact Brett KenCairn at kencairnb at bouldercolorado dot gov. For more information: BoulderColorado.gov/Climate/Ecosystems
November 19, 2018 – Start of Legislative recess. Demand TOWN HALLs from your MoCs!! Nov 19 – Nov 23 State Work Period Thanksgiving – Nov 22
JUST IN CASE: There are active discussions at the White House about firing Mueller and/or Rosenstein. If this happens, hundreds of thousands of people will instantly rally at hundreds of Rapid Response actions organized by Nobody is Above the Law, a coalition of many groups, spearheaded by MoveOn. See below to sign up for one of these events (they are occurring in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, and other CO locations). If you choose to attend an event, you agree to engage in nonviolent, peaceful action, to act lawfully, and to strive to de-escalate any potential confrontations with those who may disagree with these values.
Hosted by Kenneth N. Geof C. Lani C. william C. Ira L. Bruce N. Wendy R. Katherine F. Pearl Street Mall, old Boulder County Courthouse, Boulder, CO 80302
Trump is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. But nobody is above the law. If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. Sign up and be ready to assemble on short notice.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Kathy P. Jaymi D. Michael B. Ira C. Nancy M.
6th and Main, Longmont, CO 80501
Rapid Response! to protest Trump’s firing of special counsel.
Sign up to Attend
Hosted by Jessica Z. Katherine F.
Colorado State Capitol, Denver, CO 80203
If Trump fires Mueller, we need to be ready to assemble and express our opposition to this outrage. The following are the red lines, which if crossed, could trigger the call for national actions, communicated by national partners to hosts: 1.) Firing Mueller 2.) Pardons of key witnesses 3.) Actions that would prevent the investigation from being conducted freely, such as replacing Mueller’s current supervisor, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, or repealing the regulations establishing the office. In the case of a Mueller firing, please assume the plan has been engaged and events will be triggered nationally. In the event of key pardons, a change in Rosenstein’s relationship to the investigation, or other scenarios, a national coalition will decide as rapidly as possible whether it believes the red line has been crossed sufficient to communicate a national call to action. In such cases, local hosts are encouraged to look for notice of national decisions from MoveOn in SMS and email, but to feel empowered to proceed locally as they see fit.